none
Using .NET as a splash screen RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious, if I use .NET to create a splash screen (with options to run actual setup MSIs) that will autorun from a CD-ROM, will it only work if I have already installed the .NET framework on the machine in question first?

In the same way, if I use MFC to create a splash screen, will it not run on machines that do not currently have the VC runtime installed already?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:10 PM

Answers

• If you are creating an MS.NET EXE that displays a splash screen then you will need the .NET runtime to do it I do believe.
    Not too sure if you compile your code into machine code (with ngen.exe) would get around this - see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ht8ecch6.aspx.  I have a feeling it won't.

Alternatively...

You can create a deployment project in VS2005 and add the files or project outputs you want to it.
    If you look at the Launch Conditions, it automatically specifies .NET v2.0.50727 and a url.  When you run the MSI, it will prompt you to download this from Microsoft I do believe although never had to do this.

Why not have a browser based splash screen?

I see different install cd's with web based splash screens.  Main ones from various driver based suppliers (typically when you buy hardware) have Flash based splash screens.

I think most windows machines have MFC/VB runtime/.NET installed these days.  Not too sure if these always ship with new machines though.

Andez
    Andez
    • Marked as answer by Jerica Truax Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:18 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:20 AM