none
Multisite clustering failover scenarios RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a two node in a Multisite cluster on Windows Server 2012. On it, I have SQL Server 2012 Clustered Instance.

While doing a failover testing, when I shut down the active node, I am able to achieve failover of the SQL Server services from one node to the other.

But, when I stop the SQL Server Service on the active node, the SQL Server service does not failover to the another node.

Is there any further configuration required to achieve this?

Regards.

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:18 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I have a two node in a Multisite cluster on Windows Server 2012. On it, I have SQL Server 2012 Clustered Instance.

While doing a failover testing, when I shut down the active node, I am able to achieve failover of the SQL Server services from one node to the other.

But, when I stop the SQL Server Service on the active node, the SQL Server service does not failover to the another node.

Regards.

Actually - stopping the service is different - you could stop the service.  this will not cause any fail over.

in the cluster manager - if you right click on the sql server service and - stop the service, it will just stop the service but will not fail over. it is excepted behavior.

you can also move the service to another node from there.

Hope it Helps!!

• Marked as answer by DBEngine Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:07 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 8:34 AM
  • Thanks Stan210.

Additionally, if I want to simulate a service failover, I have to go to active node, and end the "sqlservr.exe" process. Doing so, I achieved the failover.

Regards

Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:07 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Regards.

Actually - stopping the service is different - you could stop the service.  this will not cause any fail over.

in the cluster manager - if you right click on the sql server service and - stop the service, it will just stop the service but will not fail over. it is excepted behavior.

you can also move the service to another node from there.

Hope it Helps!!

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:34 AM
  • Thanks Stan210.

Additionally, if I want to simulate a service failover, I have to go to active node, and end the "sqlservr.exe" process. Doing so, I achieved the failover.

Regards

Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:07 AM