Adding projects to source control RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to link several projects within one solution to several team projects. I am using Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010

I have Master.sln, within this projects for three applications: MyApp1, MyApp2 and MyApp3. I also have a project with common functions called MyCommon.

Within one Team Project Collection I have four Team Projects created: MyApp1_Team_Project, MyApp2_Team_Project, MyApp3_Team_Project and MyCommon.

I want to link the corresponding projects within my one solution to the four Team projects. As far as I can tell I will need to create four solutions with one project to link to the Team Projects.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi P Hudson,

Yes, you can achieve this by creating maps from server to your  local machine. But I don't recommed you do that, because the projects are in seperate team projects and when the solution is built, it will not find the project.

1. You can copy the solution folder with Master.sln and three applications: MyApp1, MyApp2 and MyApp3 to another place in  your local machin as long as the place is not mapped to the server. 
    2. Then create a folder in each team project in the Source Control Explorer, for example MyApp1 for MyApp1_Team_Project , MyApp2 for  MyApp2_Team_Project and MyApp3 for MyApp3_Team_Project. And then check them in.
    3. In the workspace, create a mapping from server folder MyApp1 to your local machine folder MyApp1. The same as  MyApp2 and MyApp3.
    4. Then in the Solution Explorer, right click the solution, select add solution to source control. Then the projects will add team project seperately.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:54 AM
  • Cathy,

Thankyou, I think I can visualise that working although it brings to the fore a question relating to the way we are using TFS2010 that you might be able to clarify for me. We currently RDP onto the server that is running TFS2010 and Sharepoint 2010. We are beginning to develop workflow applications to deploy through sharepoint.

I was not involved in the configuration of our development environment but I was led to believe that unless we have Sharepoint installed on the local machine where the development is taking place - we couldn't develop for sharepoint. Hence the reason we are connecting via RDP to server development server.

The solution you provided for my original question I will put into effect as I don't think the end result will be different nbecause of the way we connect. I am simply in the position now to make sure our development environment is right before we go too far in the wrong direction. 

Any further guidance would be very helpful!

Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Hi P Hudson,

If you want to link all projects together in same solution you can add mapping for all these projects in same workspace, But from design perspective its not recommended, because you can't use all other features like Auto Build , and work items.

from my experience in TFS branching you can use one of the following ideas:

1. add new TFS project contain the output of common projects [Dll's] and then you can reference the Dll.

2. Add post build event script to copy output to proper location and reference it.

3. Re design the TFS projects and make it as system/susbsystem. so each team project [MyApp1_Team_Project,MyApp2_Team_Project....etc] will be a subsystem of main TFS project.

Regards Ayman Zaza
    Monday, September 27, 2010 11:29 AM