Can other JS libraries be used? Also, what about Node.js?

Question

• I'm really excited to learn that Windows 8 will allow you to build apps/widgets in JavaScript and HTML. It's 2012, it only makes sense...I always thought webOS had a good idea and I'm glad to see Microsoft follow suit (and hopefully integrate web technology deeper into the OS one day).

So out of curiosity (and excitement), I'm curious if you can use "any" JS to write apps? Obviously within the framework provided and using the classes provided to interact with the OS is a no-brainer...But can you include additional JS such as prototype or jQuery?

I imagine one doesn't want to break away from the whole look and feel of Windows 8, you want your app to match up with everything, but being able to leverage existing code is quite important in some other non-design/UI/brand/look and feel related aspects.

Now the million dollar question...Would running something like Node.js be possible? If so, we can build and port, in a sense, some very interesting applications.

I noticed Microsoft has come out of its shell a little bit with regard to open source and while the web browsers are still completely out of touch with the rest of the world (I'm praying IE 10 will be better, as soon as I finish this Windows 8 preview download) , I really hope the JavaScript/HTML5 integration with the OS can be the start of something very beautiful. More than just nice for developers and users, extremely critical to the success of a modern operating system.

Web developers outnumber desktop software developers. Simple. Now, time to embrace our hard work for the benefit of your OS =)

Dooo it. Doo it now. Node.js is right here! Do it!

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:17 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can use jQuery, node.js, and other 3rd party JavaScript frameworks in your apps.

~Gearard

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:35 AM
  • Really?! Node.js? Amazing. Hmm between that and drag and drop file stuff with filesystem access I wonder what kinda security issues there will be in the future =) Very excited though.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:41 AM
  • I think there was some confusion here. Of course you should be able to load most JS frameworks that leverage browser features. Node.js, being its own platform and runtime, is not something you can directly load into a Windows Metro style app built using JavaScript.

Cheers,

-Jeff

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Ah, ok. Yea, that's what I thought. I heard though that Node.js is being made to work on Windows.... Hopefully there's a way to utilize that runtime in the future with Metro apps....
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Node.js is a server-side technology. You can, of course, use it with Metro apps to do the server-side processing, such as push notifications. Hopefully Azure will support Node.js soon and you could use that for your app.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:50 PM
  • The future is now: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/nodejs/ :)

Cheers,

-Jeff

Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:02 AM