none
SQL 2016 Cumulative update fail

Question

• Hi,

I have a newly installed Windows server 2016 with sql 2016 standard Build 13.0.1722.0

When I try to install Cumulative update 2 (or 1) I cannot select the instance features and get error message

“There are no sql server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards Staffan

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Staffankj,

I see you already applied KB3194716. If I understand it correctly, you would need to apply KB3194717 to bring SQL Server up-to-date. Here’s the result after KB3194717 applied :

SELECT @@VERSION;

--result--
    Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (RTM-CU3-GDR) (KB3194717) - 13.0.2186.6 (X64)

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Staffankj,

I see you already applied KB3194716. If I understand it correctly, you would need to apply KB3194717 to bring SQL Server up-to-date. Here’s the result after KB3194717 applied :

SELECT @@VERSION;

--result--
    Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (RTM-CU3-GDR) (KB3194717) - 13.0.2186.6 (X64)

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

I uninstalled the patch and was then able to install CU2.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:08 PM
  • Hi Staffankj,

Just FYI, Microsoft has just released SQL Server 2016 SP1 and it includes all the CUs and security update since RTM version.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:10 AM