How to check the uploaded file extension in sharepoint portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have 180 GB size  site ..content is growing enormously day by day....while using SharePoint search I could see only .docx,.xlsx,.vsd,.mpp,.pptx etc.

Still I am not sure about if any kind of media file is present (.mp3, .arf etc.) I have 150 sub sites, more doc libraries, folders so my question is can we check this by using any SharePoint OOTB option [if any media file is present] ? or do we need to write csom/jsom/powershell utility which will check for particular extension for all doc library ,list attachment etc.?

sudhanshu sharma Do good and cast it into river :)

Thursday, November 23, 2017 5:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• you can block uploading files with specific extension.
    But for files currently in sp site, I think you need to write a program to get the statistic.

Justin Liu Office Servers and Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Hi Sudhanshu,

Since there is a managed property named FileExtension which map the file type property, I suggest you searching in your site with format as “fileextension:mp3” check if you can get the relevant results.

Besides, we can use PowerShell command to display the file extension of the documents in the site collection.

Reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/42e7b8c4-8fe1-4ee2-9fd8-f194c4052db3/display-file-extension-throught-site-collection-in-sharepoint-2013?forum=sharepointadmin#ae6bad7e-d1bb-40ef-b211-8a3f7d87bc2c

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Thank you Sir!

No search results by query fileextension:mp3 cross checked (fileextension:docx) also not worked but when I search only .docx it gives results.

second, Powershell I need to try which can traverse all 150 subsites under 1 site collection then all library and all list attachments, and gives extension of files which are present (o/p-.docx,.mpp,.xlsx are types of files which are present on portal)

sudhanshu sharma Do good and cast it into river :)

Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:03 AM