none
VS2015 crash requires two restarts

Question

• I have a problem where VS2015 locks up on me quite frequently (3-4 times per day) and requires me to kill the process via Task Manager and restart it. Once I restart, though, I can't compile. The error I get is:

"The operation could not be completed. The parameter is incorrect. "

Looking inthe activity log, I get a number of errors, all of them quite long. The first one is copied below:

Failed to import factory providers: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information. 

at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module) 
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes() 
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes() 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.AssemblyCatalog.get_InnerCatalog() 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.AssemblyCatalog.GetExports(ImportDefinition definition) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.CatalogExportProvider.InternalGetExportsCore(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.CatalogExportProvider.InnerCatalogExportProvider.GetExportsCore(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.ExportProvider.TryGetExportsCore(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition, IEnumerable`1& exports) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.CatalogExportProvider.GetExportsCore(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.ExportProvider.TryGetExportsCore(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition, IEnumerable`1& exports) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.ExportProvider.GetExports(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.AggregateExportProvider.GetExportsCore(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.CompositionContainer.GetExportsCore(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.ExportProvider.GetExports(ImportDefinition definition, AtomicComposition atomicComposition) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.ExportProvider.GetExportsCore(Type type, Type metadataViewType, String contractName, ImportCardinality cardinality) 
       at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.ExportProvider.GetExportsCore[T](String contractName) 
       at Microsoft.PythonTools.Interpreter.InterpreterOptionsService.LoadProviders(SettingsStore store, IServiceProvider serviceProvider) 

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.VsInteractiveWindow, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies.
       The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.VsInteractiveWindow, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' 
       WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. 
       Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

(the preceding 4 lines are repeated 29 times)

I've never seen this kind of behavior (being unable to compile after a crash/restart) in past versions, but it's been a problem since I upgraded to VS2015.

Can anyone give me insight on 1) how to stop this need to restart the application twice and, better 2) how to track down the cause of the freezes? In order to stave off the "remove all plugins and re-add them one by one until the problem recurs" answer, I can't afford to spend days in debugging this issue. Ideally, I'd like to have a diagnostic/logging tool or procedure available that might either point out the issue or at least give enough information that I can put in a support ticket to get further help.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Please try to repair your Visual Studio 2015 first. Then make sure you have installed Visual Studio 2015 Update 1. If not, please download from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-update1-vs.aspx

We need to diagnose this problem first and then know how to stop restart the application twice. Please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio 2015 as administrator.
    2. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution. It can help us confirm whether this problem is caused by plugins without remove and re-add them one by one.
    3. Close all third part software when running Visual Studio 2015, such as antivirus.
    4. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, December 18, 2015 5:34 AM