none
Add-in Deployment - VS2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I created Outlook add-in and it is working as expected. Problem is in deployment.

1. ClickOnce: By publishing using Click-once deployment method, It copy the required vsto file at same location from where the installation file is executed. So if someone removes the file it will stop working.

I tried using CD-ROM option and also UNC share but same result.

2. Windows Installer: I tried by creating msi using setup and deployment project also but does not add the Add-In to Outlook. It just place the file ate specified location.

So, ClickOnce is adding the Add-In to Outlook but not placing the files to place where I need (ProgramFiles/MicrosoftOutlook..). And using Windows installer method allows me to select path but does not add the "Add-In" to outlook.

Please help. 

Regards,

Sachin

Saturday, September 30, 2017 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hello Sachin,

According to your description, you fail to install or load the add-in using Windows Installer.Please follow the links below to re-check your deployment steps. Do you get any error when you install the add-in? Could you see the add-in in Outlook Options -> Add-ins? If you could find it in, which group does the add-in belong? Is the add-in in Active or Inactive or Disabled Application Add-ins ? Do you get any error when you load the add-in? 

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer

Deploying a Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Solution Using
    Windows Installer

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 2, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Thanks for replying.

I followed the links provided above but same result. Below are the answers to your questions:

Do you get any error when you install the add-in? - No

Could you see the add-in in Outlook Options -> Add-ins? If you could find it in, which group does the add-in belong? - No, I does not show up there.

Is the add-in in Active or Inactive or Disabled Application Add-ins ? - No

Do you get any error when you load the add-in?  - No

Sunday, October 8, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Hello,

Looks like the required windows registry keys were not added properly. Take a look at the following articles for more information:

Registry Entries for VSTO Add-ins

Registry Entries for Application-Level Add-Ins

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Sunday, October 8, 2017 9:27 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

>> ClickOnce is adding the Add-In to Outlook but not placing the files to place where I need (ProgramFiles/MicrosoftOutlook..).

ClickOnce application are installed per user in the user application cache. These applications are managed by the ClickOnce service. If you want to install to a user specifed location such a Program Files... you should use MSI or some other installer technology.

>> I followed the links provided above but same result.

Do you mean you have followed the link “Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer”? As the suggestion from Eugene, I suggest you check whether the Registry Entries has been set from Registry Editor.

It would be helpful if you could share us your steps related with section Add the deployment and application manifests and Configure an VSTO Add-in.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 9, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Hi Ed,

Thanks for replying.

Steps which I followed after creating Add-Ain Project in Visual Studio 2017:

1. Tried Click Once deployment and it worked but problem was that if I remove the vsto file from source location (which is some folder in share drive) then Addin does not show up. 

2. So, I added MSI project to let user select the custom location and make sure the vsto goes in client system. This solution placed the vsto (and related files like menifest..) in specified directory but Add-In does not show up in outlook.

I tried steps mentioned in link above but coud not find registry related steps in VS 2017.

Please suggest me where more I can look at it.

Regards,

Sachin

Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Hello,

Please go to the following registry to see if there is your add-in.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

If you don't find any registry entries for your add-in, in VS2017, please right click you setup project, select View -> Registry to open the registry editor window.  Then follow the steps in Deploying a Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Solution Using Windows Installer to configure the registry

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 23, 2017 8:21 AM
  • Hello,

Even I am facing the same issue.

I created Outlook add-in and it is working as expected. Problem is in deployment. I have followed the given links and tried to deploy through windows Installer, it does not add the Add-in to Outlook, It just Place the file in the specified location.

I have also tried the Registry steps given in the above link but still facing the same issue.I am not getting any errors.

Please suggest me on this.

Regards,

Swathi

• Edited by SwathiNalla Friday, August 2, 2019 10:54 AM
    Friday, August 2, 2019 10:53 AM