System call cause the metro app get crashed after navigate to Settings from Charm bar

Question

•  
    You cannot vote on your own post
    I have encountered the problem about Windows 8 API that cause my metro application crashed. My app is kind of Try & Buy.
    The detail of issue as below:
    - I launch to app in trial mode and try to buy full version, the checking price progress start
    (at this time the "RequestAppPurchaseAsync()" method called)
    - After checking price and the result is fail (at this time, "RequestAppPurchaseAsync()" finished),
    then my app navigate to Settings from Charm bar.
     - I come back to my app and now it will try to call Windows::UI::Notifications::ToastNotificationManager::CreateToastNotifier()

- My application get crashed in this function. It seem the app crashed if call any Windows 8 API at here.

If I don't call "RequestAppPurchaseAsync()" before that, this issue will not raise.
    Also, I try to do this in Microsoft IAP example, I meant that call "RequestAppPurchaseAsync()" before calling
    Windows::UI::Notifications::ToastNotificationManager::CreateToastNotifier()

and the same issue will occur.

Please help me find out the root cause of this issue. Thanks
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:32 AM

Answers

• that is definitely an issue; as in, you cannot use the CurrentApp unless it is for windows store submission (CurrentAppSimulator during development is a must) but that doesn't explain the fact that the exception occurs in TileUpdateManager...

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, November 09, 2012 7:02 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 8:18 AM

All replies

• Where is the Sample code to use RequestAppPurchaseAsync()?

To your problem I think you may need to added a BadgetLogo.png in the Capability manifest. And you may ask to have a background task. Then you can enable the Notification. I have no ideas what kind of background task will be implemented. MS should provide more details documents.

Charlie Chang L

• Edited by Charlie C Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Hello Charlie,

Thanks for your discussion. Could you please explain clearly about why it must have a background task in my case. If that's exact, can you tell me the way I will get it fastest? Thanks.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:01 PM
  • It may be the requirement to enable the notification. When I tried to enable the notification, Visual Studio prompt the message. otherwise I can not enable notification. I am not sure if MS has finished Try and Buy function of online store.

Charlie Chang L

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hello again,

We still get many issues after navigate to Settings from Charm bar. Now it relates to Live Tile.

The detail of issue as below:

- I launch the app in trial mode.

- Update Live Tile then try to buy full version, the checking price progress start (at this time the "RequestAppPurchaseAsync()" method called)

- After checking price and the result is fail (at this time, "RequestAppPurchaseAsync()" finished), navigate to Charm bar by pressing Win + C, then go to Settings.

- I come back to my app, then if I try to update Live Tile again, exception occurs in TileUpdateManager::CreateTileUpdaterForApplication()

Please note that we are testing our app with Windows::ApplicationModel::Store::CurrentApp, not CurrentAppSimulator. Can it be the problem?

Thanks!

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:48 AM
  • that is definitely an issue; as in, you cannot use the CurrentApp unless it is for windows store submission (CurrentAppSimulator during development is a must) but that doesn't explain the fact that the exception occurs in TileUpdateManager...

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, November 09, 2012 7:02 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 8:18 AM