Search Service Stopped, yet still using MSDN credits RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Standard Tier Azure Search service, which is stopped yet on my subscription page... it appears to still be using up my MSDN credits per hour ?

I thought if the service wasn't running it would not be using any credits ?

Thursday, October 22, 2015 12:37 PM

Answers

• When you stop a Search Service, it just stops it from handling external requests. The resources are still provisioned and billable.

We're looking at options for improving this, ranging from renaming the button to "Pause" to more accurately reflect its role, to actually de-provisioning Search Service resources so we can stop billing. The latter is more work and not on our immediate roadmap right now though. Please help us to prioritize it by adding an item here:

http://feedback.azure.com/forums/263029-azure-search

In the meantime, your best bet would be to delete the service (either through the Azure Preview Portal or the Management API). Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:30 PM

All replies

• When you stop a Search Service, it just stops it from handling external requests. The resources are still provisioned and billable.

We're looking at options for improving this, ranging from renaming the button to "Pause" to more accurately reflect its role, to actually de-provisioning Search Service resources so we can stop billing. The latter is more work and not on our immediate roadmap right now though. Please help us to prioritize it by adding an item here:

http://feedback.azure.com/forums/263029-azure-search

In the meantime, your best bet would be to delete the service (either through the Azure Preview Portal or the Management API). Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Thanks for the response Bruce. I was linked to this when I asked a question about stopping my search service on Twitter. Based on this thread, I've deleted my search service, but it would be great if there was functionality to stop it, so that it wasn't running and using credit. Alternatively unlike many other services it doesn't seem possible to change the pricing tier. I initially created it on standard tier, but when I realised it was eating my credit I wanted to drop it down and found that I couldn't.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:14 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Thanks for following up. Currently the only way to stop being billed is to delete your search service. Being able to change the pricing tier would help in this situation, but unfortunately we don't support that yet. This is a highly requested feature that we want to support, but it involves a lot of infrastructure work and it's taking us time to get there. In the meantime, please cast your vote on User Voice.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Bruce

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:48 PM