none
Newbie - Build Database in Stages RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all

With help from forum members, my equipment database is coming together.

BUT as I am doing this out of hours, progress is quite slow.

What I would like to do is build the database in stages.

Basically, the database is intended to record details about equipment items relating to certain processes.  So what I was considering was addressing the equipment related to one process at a time.  But that got me thinking as to the best way to introduce the elements (tables, forms etc.) for subsequent processes as I manage to create and test these.

What is usual practice?  Import the items from the development database using "Get External Data -  Import".

Thanks

Phil

Monday, November 23, 2015 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

If you're talking about developing some parts of the database while the other parts are already in production, then there's no really way around "kicking" users out of the production database when you are ready to incorporate the next part because you'll need exclusive access to the back end to establish the relationships. That is assuming you have a "split" configuration.  If you don't, then you should.

Just my 2 cents...

Monday, November 23, 2015 4:02 PM
  • Hi Phil,

>> So what I was considering was addressing the equipment related to one process at a time.

In my option, this steps will accord your own business, and if these parts are not related, you could split them into many processes.

For access developing, I think you could design table, form, query and then reports. Table design would be much import, and as you know, you could get external data by using import or link table.

If you have any specific issues, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:28 AM
  • Thanks guys, but the question really related to best practice.

Is it usual to build a database in stages and then import whole tables, forms etc. as the application develops?

Thanks

Phil

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:25 AM
  • Thanks guys, but the question really related to best practice.

Is it usual to build a database in stages and then import whole tables, forms etc. as the application develops?

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

With the operative word being "usual," then I think the answer would be a "no." Depending on the size and complexity of the project, that might be one approach (Agile). But for "normal" ones, you should probably get all the tables in (with relationships properly established) before you build your forms and reports.

Just my humble opinion...

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:17 PM