what to use for developing windows tablet app?

Question

• So yesterday I was approached by our owner and discussed creating a windows tablet app. Only experience I have is with VS creating web application, windows applications(using WPF and WinForms)

So ive been searching for the proper tools needed to begin such a task. Can I still use VS to create the application? Will I need something completely different to begin developing? Will I be able to use C# as the coding language?

Everything I found so far keeps referring to windows store app, can you develop on a pc and transfer to the tablet to run? Or is the development strictly done on the tablet?

Not looking for how, just some guidance on required dev tools? link or even just the proper terminology to google on?

Here is where I am today, http://windows8center.sourceforge.net/getting-started/ which has plenty of how to's just not sure this is what I should be looking at?

Friday, July 18, 2014 4:54 PM

Answers

• Windows Store apps are a new feature for Windows 8. They are not available on Windows 7.

If you have a Windows 7 tablet then you can write desktop apps for it. That's off topic for this forum: for help please post in the appropriate forum for the development environment you want to use. For example, if you want to write a WPF app then please post specific questions in the WPF forum.

--Rob

Friday, July 18, 2014 8:29 PM
    Owner
  • There isn't really any such thing as a Windows 7 tablet app. You would just make a regular Windows 7 application, and I suppose you would take extra care to ensure the layout and UI are usable with touch, as presumably a tablet user would want to use touch some of the time, if not always.

Just have large, well-spaced buttons and large fonts.

Windows 8 is infinitely better for tablet/touch applications, but your IT department might not be ready/able to upgrade.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:44 AM
  • MVA' Windows Store App Development with C# Training is your best friend. You do not need a tablet to do development. You will need a windows 8.1 machine with visual studio 2013 for getting started.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:02 AM
  • Well here we go, so after informing upper management of the basics needed to proceed, they came back and asked if its possible to get a tablet with windows 7 environment? Is that still available? and if so are we looking at different requirements for development?

I haven't asked yet the reason behind going with 7 vs 8, but if its possible, then im sure they are going to push to do that instead..

No offense to your management team, but they've been reading too much online reviews by tech reviewers, aka tech dummies.  There are some very vocal windows 8 haters out there that would lie outright through their teeth telling their readers that windows 8 is the most terrible experience ever on a tablet and that reverting back to windows 7 is the best thing you could do to your tablet. 

You need to educate yourself about windows 8.1 environment and go back to your management and inform them that windows 8 is infinitely better on a tablet AND PC.  It is a much better experience overall than windows 7.  The various tech blogs online that bash windows 8 are downright deceptive. 

Monday, July 21, 2014 3:23 AM

All replies

• I assume by 'tablet app' you mean a modern Windows 8 style app (Windows Store app).

Yes, you create them in Visual Studio (if using the Express version you need Visual Studio Express for Windows specifically). And yes, you can program in C# (using XAML for the UI).

You need a Windows 8 PC to develop on (or Windows 8.1 if you want to target Windows 8.1). You don't have to develop on the tablet you intend to use the app on (and if it's a Windows RT tablet you can't run
    Visual Studio on it anyway). You  can deploy and run your app on a Windows tablet for testing.

The website you posted looks fine. I'd recommend downloading some samples from here (Dev.windows.com) and browsing the forums.

I'd also recommend building a 'universal app', which is a Windows Store and Windows Phone combined app. You effectively build one app with two different user interfaces and possible some separate code where the two platforms are not identical.

You'll need to learn about Windows 8 if you haven't used it much. Familiarise yourself with the way Windows 8 handles app screen size/state; learn about live tiles; understand async.

NOTE: Windows 8 apps will work on Windows 8.1, but if you build an app specifically for Windows 8.1 it won't work on Windows 8(.0).

For deploying apps to a tablet or other PC you will need to install something called the Remote Debugger. Be careful as there are different versions for each version of Visual Studio and for different CPU (x86, x64, ARM).

As for terminology: Windows Store apps are often called 'metro' apps, Windows 8-style apps, fullscreen modern apps, etc. Windows RT is the ARM version of Windows for tablets. Generally speaking you will create store apps that work on all CPUs, however in some rare cases you might want to only build for x86/x64, such as when your app requires more power than an ARM tablet can give.

There are tons of resources online. Channel 9, Microsoft Virtual Academy, Stack Overflow, Dev.windows.com, etc.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Friday, July 18, 2014 5:08 PM
  • Well here we go, so after informing upper management of the basics needed to proceed, they came back and asked if its possible to get a tablet with windows 7 environment? Is that still available? and if so are we looking at different requirements for development?

I haven't asked yet the reason behind going with 7 vs 8, but if its possible, then im sure they are going to push to do that instead..

Friday, July 18, 2014 7:34 PM
  • Windows Store apps are a new feature for Windows 8. They are not available on Windows 7.

If you have a Windows 7 tablet then you can write desktop apps for it. That's off topic for this forum: for help please post in the appropriate forum for the development environment you want to use. For example, if you want to write a WPF app then please post specific questions in the WPF forum.

--Rob

Friday, July 18, 2014 8:29 PM
    Owner
  • There isn't really any such thing as a Windows 7 tablet app. You would just make a regular Windows 7 application, and I suppose you would take extra care to ensure the layout and UI are usable with touch, as presumably a tablet user would want to use touch some of the time, if not always.

Just have large, well-spaced buttons and large fonts.

Windows 8 is infinitely better for tablet/touch applications, but your IT department might not be ready/able to upgrade.

Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:44 AM
  • MVA' Windows Store App Development with C# Training is your best friend. You do not need a tablet to do development. You will need a windows 8.1 machine with visual studio 2013 for getting started.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:02 AM

No offense to your management team, but they've been reading too much online reviews by tech reviewers, aka tech dummies.  There are some very vocal windows 8 haters out there that would lie outright through their teeth telling their readers that windows 8 is the most terrible experience ever on a tablet and that reverting back to windows 7 is the best thing you could do to your tablet. 

You need to educate yourself about windows 8.1 environment and go back to your management and inform them that windows 8 is infinitely better on a tablet AND PC.  It is a much better experience overall than windows 7.  The various tech blogs online that bash windows 8 are downright deceptive. 

Monday, July 21, 2014 3:23 AM