none
Global navigation, set target audience RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have created a site "Admin's Portal" and i want this site link should be visible to a specific group.

I have marked this site hidden and added a link in global navigation that points to this site and i have configured target audience for that link. works well now.

Is there any other way(direct way) to set target audience without creating the new link and setting the target audience?

If i set target audience that works well and link is only visible to people of a specific group but this link is also visible for administrator "system administrator", is this expected behavior?

• Edited by Shafaqat Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I aggree with Hemendra, the system account will not see the link is he is not in the target audience. I would suggest creating another SharePoint group named group1 and add the user1 in the new group. Then set the target audience for the link to group1 to have a test.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Shafaqat,

Please go through the following post.

http://reddishetty.blogspot.com/2012/07/set-target-audience-to-quick-launch.html

Thanks,

Raviraj

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:24 AM
  • HI Raviraj

I am looking for no code solution and secondly that code also creates a new node and sets the target audience.

Can we set target audience when we create a new site?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

>If i set target audience that works well and link is only visible to people of a specific group but this link is also visible for administrator "system administrator", is this expected behavior?

No it should not. I think system admin account is added in that group that's why admin is able to see that link. Can you please verify?

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:46 AM
  • I have verified, i have 1 group "admins" and i have configured my navigation link with this group and this group has only 1 user "user1"

perhaps system admin account bypasses such security trimming .

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

I aggree with Hemendra, the system account will not see the link is he is not in the target audience. I would suggest creating another SharePoint group named group1 and add the user1 in the new group. Then set the target audience for the link to group1 to have a test.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:56 AM