Hardware and software specifications design for a SharePoint Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am working a designing hardware and software specifications for a SharePoint Server 2013 project with following details:

Users: 80-100

Physical Server (Production Environment)

Virtual Machines

RAM

Processor

VM1 (1 SharePoint Application Server with Central Administration)

16 GB

64-bit, 4 cores

VM2 (1 SharePoint front end server)

12 GB

64-bit, 4 cores

VM3 (1 SQL Server)

16 GB

64-bit, 4 cores

Physical Server (UAT Environment)  

VM4 (1 SharePoint Application Server with Central Administration)

16 GB

64-bit, 4 cores

VM5 (1 SharePoint front end server)

12 GB

64-bit, 4 cores

VM6 (1 SQL Server)

16 GB

64-bit, 4 cores

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 Datacenter

SharePoint Server: SharePoint Server Standard Edition

SQL Server: SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2012

1.        I referred to SharePoint 2013 hardware and software system requirements and instead of minimum requirements for App, WFE and DB servers, I increased the specifications. I did same sizing for UAT environment as well.  Can somebody feedback for these specifications if they are okay with 80-users and provide good user experience?
    2.        We are also considering SQL Server 2014 as our back-end for SharePoint Server.  Can we choose SQL Server 2014 instead of SQL Server 2012 for this design?
    3.        I set up 3 tier topology for proof of concept and had 1 WFE, 1 APP Server and 1 DB server. I set up the farm manually (not using Farm Wizard) and used bare minimum service applications on the 1 WFE with Central administration. Later I ran SharePoint Product wizard on 1 App server and did not run Central Administrator on this box. I was able to view the 1 WFE server on the APP server and created Search Service application on APP server.

My intention was to provision Search service application of the APP server instead. However, I when the Search service application was created on WFE and not App server.  Shall I start with APP server with Central Admin and then connect to WFE? Can please advise what I did wrong?

Thank you.

Regards,

Aroh

Aroh Shukla

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

1. Those specifications look fine for 80-100 users, depending on the workload of the users. Are they using content management components of SharePoint like creating documents and web pages? Or are they using SharePoint for more intensive business intelligence functions or workflows? If the workload on the servers isn't very high, those specs should be fine.

This MSDN article has a lot more detail about estimation for capacity planning:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff758645(v=office.15).aspx

2. SQL Server 2014 is supported using SharePoint 2013 with Service Pack 1:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sambetts/archive/2014/05/16/sharepoint-2013-on-sql-server-alwayson-2014-edition.aspx

3. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. You can add SharePoint roles like Search, Web, Email etc on any of the servers in the SharePoint farm. If you want the Search role on a different server, just select that particular server and start the service.

With the farm configuration you have specified, you won't have any High Availability capability. Not sure if that is a design requirement or not. Lots more detail here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748824(v=office.15).aspx

Regards,

Gavin McKay

• Marked as answer by Rebecca Tu Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:05 PM
  • Hello Gavin and others, 

Thanks for your valuable inputs. 

1. I need to set up load balance environment for verification. As mentioned, my first server SPWFE01 is hosting the search application service and I wanted to move SPApp01 to host search so that Front ends are faster for end users.I firstly created SPWFE01 environment  and then added SPApp01 to my server farm.  How could I target which server should host search application? Any inputs would be appreciated.  
    2. We are using SharePoint Server 2013 Standard and will not using business intelligence.

3. We also have to set up NLB for front end servers. 12 GB RAM, 4 core CPUs each for two front servers in the VM environment good enough for the production server. Is this hardware configuration good enough? 
    4. In the in the initial Phase 1 would be using document sharing, uploading, creating Wikis, Calendars, Tasks. The basic stuff. We will gradually move to Phase 2 with OOTB workfows and some custom workflow through SharePoint User Interface. The user population is non-technical and there for we are giving an idea and benefits of SharePoint. Introduction to blogs, managing web part pages and standard pages, sync their SharePoint Calendar to outlook etc in phase 2. In Phase 3, we are planning to give them advanced features for non technical staff about My Sites, enter their profile information, follow sites and people, community sites, search service introduction etc. Does anyone has more inputs that we will train them is few weeks time. or we missed any another SharePoint features for end users? Please advise.   

Thank you. 

Aroh

Aroh Shukla

Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Hi Aroh,

1. You can change this via Central Admin, Manage Services on Server. Just start the search components on the app server and then stop them on the web server.

2. OK

3. For the number of users you have and the workload you are planning, those specs will be fine.

4. Those features will probably be the most used, so it makes sense to roll them out. Might be additional benefits around connecting to other business systems and perhaps SQL Server reporting services as well maybe, but it depends if you have data sources in your organisation that are compatible and provide relevant information. i.e. make sure you are adding business value when selecting functionality.

Regards,

Gavin McKay

Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:40 AM
  • Hi Gavin and others, 

As I am in process of designing the Production SharePoint topology, I need some clarification:

1. 2 SharePoint 2013 STD Servers as Front End server for load balancing. 
    2. 1 Application SharePoint 2013 STD server to host search application and user profile application. 
    3. 1 SQL Server 2014 Database. 

So,

Q: 2 SharePoint WFEs with NLB and 1 SharePoint Application server would suffice for 80-100 users? 

We also need a backup server if production server get crashed and that backup server could work as Production server with minimum data loss.  

Q: Any third party back up tool that has reasonable cost

Thank you. 

Cheers, 
    Aroh

Aroh Shukla

Monday, September 1, 2014 8:33 AM