none
Standard TCPI/IP Port Monitor (TCPMON.DLL) with Printer Name (hostname) RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows XP SP3 and I am having a custom language monitor which is talking to the standard TCPI/IP port monitor (TCPMON.DLL) with the “Raw” protocol. The printing works just fine when I specify the printer IP Address in the “Standard TCP/IP Port Monitor” configuration. But it doesn’t print when defining the Printer Name (hostname) instead. In this case the Port Monitor StartDocPort() function returns false with an error code 0x8CA (ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED: This network connection does not exist). I am able to ping the printer with the hostname though.

It seems that the standard TCPI/IP port monitor doesn’t resolve the hostname since when I put the IP address and hostname into the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file then I am able to print even when specifying the Printer Name in the “Standard TCP/IP Port Monitor” configuration.

I am still using the “old” APIs (e.g. InitializeMonitor(), OpenPort(), …). Can this be a problem? Does the Language Monitor need to resolve the IP address? Is there something else I am missing?

Thank you

Phil Ineichen - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:22 PM

Answers

• The problem isn't caused by the standard TCP/IP monitor (TCPMON.DLL) since it only appears with some routers and it is working with other routers. I assume that this issue is cause by the router configuration.

Phil Ineichen - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Phil Ineichen Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:12 PM

All replies

• i think you would need to contact PSS at this point for XP issues

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:21 AM
  • The problem isn't caused by the standard TCP/IP monitor (TCPMON.DLL) since it only appears with some routers and it is working with other routers. I assume that this issue is cause by the router configuration.

• Marked as answer by Phil Ineichen Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:12 PM