WP7 app development to Windows 8 metro app development RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed WP7 applications by using C# and XAML. I want to create windows 8 metro apps. The set of APIs which we use in  WP7 app development is in Silverlight. But the API set for windows 8 metro app development is WinRT. I have already created a class library for my WP7 projects(which handles network calls, getting the data from server and convert it to xml document, caching the data, creating UI layout, push notifications, etc... ). Can the same class library be used for both WP7 and windows 8 metro apps (with something like conditional compilation) ?.

How about WP8 app development ? Will it use the same WinRT API which windows 8 metro apps use or it will have it's own set of libraries.

Can we have a sample class library which can be used for WP7, WP8 and Windows 8 metro apps or I should have separate libraries for each of them ? 

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:13 PM

Answers

• See Migrate/port a Windows Phone 7 app to a Metro style app

Many of the things you mention doing in your library probably can't be used as is in a Metro style app project but will need to be updated: at minimum, you will want to use a different UI layout and push notifications are different.

For the application logic layer which can be the same in different environments you can create a Portable Class Library project to use the same library targeting multiple environments. This library will only be able to use .Net classes which can be used in all of the target environments.

Details on Windows Phone 8 development are not yet available. There is a sticky thread in the Windows Phone Development forum  on the App Hub discussing the current status.

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_Net Friday, July 13, 2012 4:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by appdevloper Monday, July 16, 2012 5:37 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:22 PM