SQL Audit Not Showing Database Audit Specification in Viewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone - I'm trying to create a server audit for several of my databases. I can create both the audit under the server security and under the database itself, but when I enable both I do not see the audit in the viewer. It seems to not be connecting the database audit spec to the security audit. I'm a system admin and have granted myself all the rights I could think of. I've also check under each database that they had proper promissions. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Thanks!

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can use extended- event for Auditing.

http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/139580/extended-events-vs-sql-audit-performance-implications/139589

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem.

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:14 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

>>but when I enable both I do not see the audit in the viewer.

If you can see the server audit in object explorer, right click on it and select ‘View Audit Logs’ and it would open a log file viewer for your audits.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Thank you for the quick reply.

My problem is when I right click and go to audit logs my audit is not there, even though its enabled in the database. I'm a little perplexed how this can be happening.

Monday, March 13, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Could you please share more information such as SQL Server version/SSMS version so we can have a better understanding about the issue? And were you able to read the audit file directly by using sys.fn_get_audit_file?

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:31 AM