Cannot open xaml file with Blend 3 from VS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I cannot open xaml file with Blend 3 in VS 2008.

To analyze this problem I have created a small WPF solution with one window and two buttons in VS 2008. When I try to open the Window1.xaml file by right-clicking the file in the solution explorer and the choosing open with... Microsoft Expression Blend 3, I get the Blend error message "The file or folder "c:\...\Window1.xaml" is not a valid Blend project".

So I cannot use Blend as xaml-Editor for my WPF-Solution or project, what I would really appreciate.

I can open the project directly with Blend though. I have already searched all available forums and the web, but I could not find any solution. I get the same error when I try to open the xaml file directly from windows explorer, which might be understandable.

I am using VS 2008, Version 9.0.30729.1 SP and Blend 3 + SketchFlow, Version 3.0.1927.0 on Windows 7, 64 Bit

Is there any idea what I could do to open  xaml-files directly from VS 2008 with Blend 3?

Thanks in advance

Frank

Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi FrankWuttke,

I can reproduce the problem. I think the problem is when you open xaml file with blend3, blend3 will consider it as a project. However, xaml file could not be a valid project. I also take a look at blend3, I don't see any menuitem available to open xaml files. Not sure if it is by design. If you open with XamlPad, there will be no problem when the xaml file is a page.

For expression blend issues, you can post the problem in its specialized forum for help, or you could also try the Expression blend disscussion group.

Best regards,
    Bruce Zhou
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Bruce.Zhou Friday, October 16, 2009 8:01 AM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi FrankWuttke,

I can reproduce the problem. I think the problem is when you open xaml file with blend3, blend3 will consider it as a project. However, xaml file could not be a valid project. I also take a look at blend3, I don't see any menuitem available to open xaml files. Not sure if it is by design. If you open with XamlPad, there will be no problem when the xaml file is a page.

For expression blend issues, you can post the problem in its specialized forum for help, or you could also try the Expression blend disscussion group.

Best regards,
    Bruce Zhou
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Bruce.Zhou Friday, October 16, 2009 8:01 AM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Hi Frank,

How's your problem now? Did you get any answer from the blend forum?

Best regards,
    Bruce Zhou
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:45 AM