none
Cannot Run Macros in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I successfully created and ran an macro in Outlook and it has suddenly stopped running.  I now get the error "An error occurred while attempting to verify the VBA project's signature.  Macros will be disabled." when I click on Visual Basic in the Developer tab.  I, of course, also get the error "The macros in this project are disabled.  Please refer to online help...."

I have tried creating and signing my own digital certificate using SelfCert.exe and it is in the trusted certifications list.  I also went into VBA and chose the certificate.  It did not work.

Marco settings are set to "Notifications for digitally signed macros, all other macros disabled."  All options are grayed out because this is a work PC and my IT group won't let us change this setting.

I have also copied the macro code, deleted the macro, and pasted it into a new module.  It did not work.

I have uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled.  No luck either.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?  Like I said, this macro was working fine and suddenly it stopped.

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hello Steven,

Looks like administrator applied a group policy which requires VBA macros have a digital signature. Did you have a chance to check out the Trust Center settings in Outlook? Are VBA macro allowed to run?

You need to adjust the Trust Center settings to allow unsigned VBA macros to run or purchase a valid certificate from a trusted vendor if you need to run the code on multiple machines.

You may find the How to Create a Self-Signed Digital Certificate in Microsoft Office 2010 article helpful.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:31 PM
  • HI Eugene,

I have already created my own self-signed certificate and it didn't work.  Also, please note that it was working perfectly fine a few minutes before and during a presentation I did.  It just suddenly stopped running.  The code didn't change at all.

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:39 PM
  • Hi Steven Pool,

please try to remove the Certificate. then try to save the code and restart the outlook and test the code again.

I find these steps are useful to solve this issue.

one other user got the same error and by these steps he was able to successfully resolve the error.

so you can try to test it on your side.

(1) VBA/Tools / Digital Signature

(2) Click on Choose .. and select a cerificate. Then the remove-botton is activated.

(3) Click on Remove Certificate

(4) Save VBA project

(5) Restart Outlook

Reference:

Error verify VBA project signature

please let us know about your testing result, so that we can try to suggest you further if needed.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:38 AM
  • I was fighting this until I worked out that I had to 

1) Create a self-signed certificate using C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\selfcert.exe

2) Copy that certificate to "Console Root\Certificates - Current User\Trusted Publishers\Certificates" using mmc.exe with the Certificates snap-in for "My user account".

Only then would Outlook accept the certificate as valid.

Monday, January 22, 2018 11:39 AM
  • this isn't working

Monday, May 21, 2018 12:53 AM
  • Hi Steven, 

I am also facing the same issue. Did you get a workaround this?

Regards,

Mohit Kumar

Monday, May 21, 2018 12:54 AM
  • Hi Mohitkpune,

This thread is almost one yr old and not active from long time.

I suggest you to create a new thread with detailed information.

There is much more chance to get suggestions by community members.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 21, 2018 9:57 AM