none
Signing a non-PNP (File System Driver) for Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to get a Microsoft signature on my File System Driver after it was EV signed (by a Digicert certificate).

I has ve downloaded the HLK studio in order to run some tests on the driver, but I do not understand what should I do there as the environment is Hardware related. How should I submit my driver into the HLK studio?

How should I proceed once the tests are completed.

My company also registered to the Hardware Development Program, but I do not know where to upload the signed (by Digicert) driver. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Sunday, February 9, 2020 9:24 AM

All replies

• I have this all scripted, so hopefully I'm not forgetting some steps so feel free to ask for more details.

To run the tests you need to install your software and the HLK client software on the test system.  This will register the test system with the host you installed HLK Studio and the HLK Controller on.  Here are the instructions for that:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/getstarted/step-2--install-client-on-the-test-system-s-

Then go into HLK Studio on your controller box and change the status of the client to "Ready" and select the tests for the driver (for a file system driver you select your driver name under "software devices").  Then you should be able to see the tests selected under the "Tests" tab and select and start the tests.

The next step after running the HLK tests is to create a submission package (a *.hlkx file) under the "Package" tab in HLK Studio.  See

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/getstarted/step-8-create-a-submission-package

Then you'll need to use a developer.microsoft.com account to upload the package.  In particular you'll want to log into the "Hardware DevCenter Dashboard".  If you don't have a developer account, this describes the process:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/opening-a-developer-account

Once you have that set up (including registering your signing keys in that account) you can upload the *.hlkx submission file and then download the signed drivers.

Eric

Monday, February 10, 2020 3:24 PM
  • Eric, 

thanks for the thorough explanation, but I guess that I do not understand something.

Do I need two stations in order to test the file system driver?

Why is it supposed to be so complicated I just need to sign a driver which I am going to use locally.

Please advise.

Monday, February 10, 2020 4:44 PM
  • I am not aware that you can "collapse" this into one box, it might be possible by I've never tried that.

If you have a single system but can create VMs on it, that might help as since you're testing a software driver without any dedicate hardware associated with it, you can just create two VMs.  One for the controller and one for the test box.  That's the configuration we use to test our file system driver.

Eric

Monday, February 10, 2020 10:58 PM
  • Eric, hi,

We have successfully run LK Studio. But we've been struggling with the account issues that you advised: a developer.microsoft.com account to upload the package.

Do you know where I can get support with signing in?

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 6:28 AM