SQL Server Backup to Windows Azure Tool stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I configured SQL server 2012 to back up user databases to Azure using SQL Server Backup to Windows Azure Tool. I wanted to have all databases in different containers, so I created the first 3 containers, 3 different rules for the Tool and backed up the first 3 databases. The stud files were created and the databases uploaded to Azure, all went fine.

Now I created the rest of the folders, containers and rules for the rest of the databases (25 in total) and a SQL Server Agent job to back up all databases. Only the first 3 backups were uploaded to Azure. I made sure the Azure Tool service is running, the SQLBackup2Azure account has rightto readand write the necessary folders etc. and run the job again. Neither of the backups were uploaded into Azure this time. I re-tried to back up the databases to the different folders several times again, but it seems the SQL Server Backup to Windows Azure Tool just ignores the folders, even the ones from which it uploaded the files the first time. I got no error message. The backup files are being created and stay in the folders but nothing happens to them afterwards. I couldn't find anything relevant in the Application logs (Event Viewer) either. The server runs on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. 

What is the way to debug this issue ? 

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:28 PM

Answers

• Thanks Barabashh, per the description, it works for three databases and does not work for additional databases.

I tried with SQL build 11.00.5582 - created folders, created containers, backed four different databases to different folders and I can see the uploaded files in their respective containers. Are the containers accessible and is the filter appropriate.

It may be quicker to create a support ticket and work with appropriate team to check further.

• Proposed as answer by Mekh Subba Tuesday, April 14, 2015 3:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mekh Subba Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

In the meantime, please have a check on the below links and check if it helps:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/dn449491.aspx

Regards,

Mekh.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:03 PM
  • Hi Mekh.

I use the method described in the link on my other server, which runs SQL server 2014 and it works fine. But my question concerns backup to Azure with SQL server 2012 so it doesn't help I am afraid.

Thanks for looking at this issue.

Barabashh

Friday, April 10, 2015 6:25 AM
  • Hi Mekh.

Is there any other forum where I can possibly get help with this issue ? I invested quite a lot of time implementing this solution when the tool stopped working for no reason. Does this tool create any log at all ? All I can see is the Microsoft SQL Server Backup to Windows Azure Tool service is running and it is logged on as SQLBackup2Azure to the server which account has full rights on the folders in question. Other than this it seems it's completely ignoring any action in the folders. Can you suggest any way to find at least an error message regarding the issue ?

Thanks in advance,

Barabashh

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 11:50 AM
  • Thanks Barabashh, per the description, it works for three databases and does not work for additional databases.

I tried with SQL build 11.00.5582 - created folders, created containers, backed four different databases to different folders and I can see the uploaded files in their respective containers. Are the containers accessible and is the filter appropriate.

It may be quicker to create a support ticket and work with appropriate team to check further.

• Proposed as answer by Mekh Subba Tuesday, April 14, 2015 3:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mekh Subba Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:38 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Vijay,

Just for the record, the tool stopped uploading all databases, including the first three which it did on the first place.

I am on SQL build 11.0.3153 - the filters are triple checked, the account came back verified on the tools test and I have tried to use various containers, including the ones which are in use successfully with the SQL 2014 server backup too, so they must be definitely accessible.

Thanks, I'll open a support ticket too.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:58 PM