Unable to Create morethan 255 columns in to Access database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

While generating Access Database from Visual Studio It is giving Too many fields defined Error Message As it is allowing 255 Columns.Is it possible to increase Columns from 255 to 400 in Access Database with Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 and ADOX.Table

Thanks & Regards

Kishore

Kishore Shetti

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Access table column count is limited to 255. Why do you need that many? Import from Excel?

Suggestions:

1. Redesign the database
    2. Split the database and use SQL Server as the backend (works really nice)

Best regards, George

• Proposed as answer by André Santo Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hi Kishore. As George said, you may have to split the columns into more than one table. If you do, make sure you have a foreign key to match the records between the tables. Just my 2 cents...
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 6:29 PM
  • I always get a feeling that a table with all those columns is not a normalized table. Are all those columns really a one-to-one relationship?

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Hi Kishore Bavirishetti,

In Access we can create maximum 255 columns only. 255 is a limit. We can’t create columns more then that .

Kindly visit the link given below.

Access specifications

here you have mentioned that you want to create 400 columns in Access.

So as I told you directly it is not possible.

The work around is already suggested by  the DB guy.

You can split the columns in to more than one table and make a relationship between them.

The other thing I also want to suggest that you can normalize your table as Bill Mosca, MVP has suggested to decrease the no of columns.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:50 AM