Expression Web not publishing my website RRS feed

• Question

•  When I publish my site through expression, the changes are not transmitting to my domain, I also notice that no information transfers to my published log, when I access the log, all I get is a blank page, I have attempted to publish my site over the last 2 days and have been unable to, can anyone offer any insight.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:52 PM

All replies

• Not without a lot more information.

Start by telling us exactly what you are doing. What is the site URL, what are your publishing settings (not the actual password of course), how are you opening your site, and explicitly what commands are you using to publish it.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:50 PM
  • 1. What is your domain, is it actually activated at your hosting company?
    2. How are you trying to publish, did your host give you publishing instructions?

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:50 PM
  • I am still having the problem and search for the issue. I'm sorry I did not see the reply sooner.

The site I am publishing from is http://continuinged.uml.edu and is running front page extensions. I have the site settings box for meta data, checked.

Our new server has no FP extensions(won't run on the 64 bit os, and I know we need to get away from them. We removed allthe old FP stuff, except for publishing). I am publishing locally to a mapped drive. That site has the site settings set to use meta data also.

any help would be appreciated. Judy

Judy Feeney

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:09 PM
  • How are you trying to publish? (What steps, precisely, as I asked for the earlier post.)

To publish to a server with no FP extensions, you need to set the Publishing Destination up with the details of your FTP account with your host.  And, are you really the same poster who started this thread (under a different name) a year and a half ago?  A site that has been waiting to be published for that long?

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:27 PM
  • I thought I had posted earlier about it, but did not find it in my search. . They bought a new server and there were all kinds of issues with it.
    We stopped and started work with it.
    I told them it was going to be obsolete by the time we moved everything ;) We went from 2000 server on NT domain to 2008(not RC2) and SQL 2000 to 2008, cold fusion 4.5 to CF9. I’ve been updating the  website as usual.

We publish to a mapped drive, locally, using Filesystem.

Judy

Judy Feeney

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:07 PM
  • You are not answering the question.

HOW are you trying to publish to your new server: Specific steps, menu by menu.  It's a bit confusing to go from "I'm still having the problem" (especially, since you are not the person who started this thread, when we can't know what the problem is: please tell us) to "I've been updating the website as usual".

What is not working?

(And what do you mean, you are using ColdFusion?  Expression Web is for standard HTML, CSS, aspx pages if youare using them, and doesn't have anything to do with ColdFusion.  Are you in the right forum?)

If you are not the original poster, your statement, "I am still having the problem and search for the issue. I'm sorry I did not see the reply sooner." is a bit of a non-sequitor, since it doesn't relate to this thread or its replies.  You should start your own thread for your own issues, just FYI.

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, March 12, 2012 6:28 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 6:13 PM
  • 1) I set up a Publishing Destination. Name=NewContedLocal;Connection Type=File System; Location=V:\inetpub\wwwroot\contedWeb; Save.(I am using EW4)

The type is Local when I view it in the Managed sites List

2)once I had this set up, I so Site, Open Site and choose my http://continuinged.uml.edu

3) once it opens I go to Site, Publishing

4) I click the link to 'Connect to the current publishing destination

5) I then choose which folders or files I want to publish. Click the blue arrow to send the files to the v:\inetpub\wwwroot\ContedWeb

They publish perfectly, but My log open with just the title Publish log at the top. the rest is blank.

Judy

Judy Feeney

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:23 PM
  • The publishing destination of your local copy is not a connection to  your local file system unless you are trying to copy files from one part of your hard drive to another.  If you are trying to publish files between your local copy (local file system) and your webstite, the publishing destination for the local copy is the ftp (if you are talking about a site on the new server) or http (if you are talking about the old site with FrontPage server extensions on it) connection to the remote site.

And if you are copying files from your remote site and "they publish perfectly", what is the issue?  Just that the Publish log isn't working?  That is a very, very different thing from publishing not working,

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, March 12, 2012 6:34 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 6:32 PM
  • We are publishing from our old server(an http, FP extension site) to our new server, which is mapped as a local drive. And it does publish perfectly. But I was concerned that I was seeing a blank publishing log. We are actually moving everyhting and going live on this Wed.

the reason we are publishing locally(and I know this bad...), we have worked live on our site since 1999, and they don't want to stop. so publishing locally was the only option. (except that from home we van use the University's VPN, and edit the site from the server it resides on).

Judy

Judy Feeney

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:43 PM
  • If your files are there, they are there.  I really don't understand your work flow, so can't even guess why the publish log isn't showing, but it doesn't matter.  If you see the files, obviously, they are there.

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Thank you!

Judy

Judy Feeney

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Expression Web has historically had issues with using \\ unc paths and sometimes those can be resolved using a mapped drive letter but not always. I am somewhat confused by the post you made.

If you are using: http://continuinged.uml.edu you are attempting to work live on the server which isn't going to work properly because you are working on a temporary file downloaded to your computer without all the relevant site information.

If I understand you and you are suppose to be working live onthe server what you want your local site to be is v:\inetpub\wwwroot\ContedWeb aka your mapped unc path.

Though best practice would be to use a local hard drive copy such as c:\eduwebs and set a publishing destination of the file system mapped v:\inetpub\wwwroot\ContedWeb That way EW would understand the context of what you are doing without the confusion that sometimes occurs when you are using remote paths in your editing.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:18 PM