How to integrate 2 applications with the help of API ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-74517680 posted

1) I have a question, many kind of applications / programs offer API's for integration.

Is it possible to integrate any kind of application / program with any kind of application with the help of API ?

i mean two completely different applications/programs with different database structure can still be integrated with each other with the help of API ?

2) Where exactly is the API file stored  ? i mean in order to integrate 2 applications i need to create an xml file ? and store it where ? or i have to do some modification in the code of my application in order to work with this api integration ? how it works..please guide me in a right direction....

3) Could anyone explain me how this API thing works ? i have been provided a PDF file by the application company that i need to integrate with my database based web application.

now i have to make API connections in my code ? or how ?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:02 PM

Answers

• User-1857685018 posted

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  You aren't going to be "creating" any XML files per se, you would make a Web Reference to the XML Web Service in the other application's API.  Then on your end, you would interact with the Web Reference in your C#/VB code.  When your code is run, it will generate the XML posts that get sent to the web service and will translate the XML response into a format your code can work with.  Here is a tutorial that walks you though consuming the webservice from your code: http://www.dotnet-friends.com/articles/csharp/artincs558a4499-05fe-4f9f-aacb-b7d4132acad7.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:28 PM

All replies

• User-1857685018 posted

If an application offers APIs to interact with it from another application, the APIs are specific to the application.  APIs also take many forms.  

What two applications are you trying to make work together?  

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:56 PM
  • User-74517680 posted

My application is a database based web application in which i am storing asset information (like computer details, list of applications etc) in the database

Now there is an application that my company is using for ticketing process, that ticketing software provided API and they asked me to connect my application to their application. By which the data from my application will be transferred to their application

The API includes a pdf file in which they have mentioned xml tags by which i will link my application.

How this integration process takes place ? i have to do some coding in my application ? or how it works ?

My only concern is how 2 applications can link when they have different database structure etc ?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:03 PM
  • User-1857685018 posted

It appears that the APIs are letting you push/pull data through XML webservices.  XML webservices are independent of the underlying databases.  You will most likely have to work directly with the vendor of the application for more details.  However, you can access most XML webservices by adding them as Web References to your application.  Here is a tutorial on how to use Web References (might be a little dated thought): http://www.deitel.com/articles/csharp_tutorials/20051126/csharpwebservices_part10.html

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:08 PM
  • User-1857685018 posted

More info on web services from MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d9w023sx.aspx

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:10 PM
  • User-74517680 posted

yes you're correct john, that API will pull data through XM webservices from my application, i guess my function parameters will pass the values, am i correct ?

so in order to integrate these 2 application i just have to create a xml file and place it on server ? or i have to write some code in my application so that other application can pull data from my application ?

is it really hard to integrate 2 applications ? or if i know where to make connections it's easy ? this is my first time integrating something with API...

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:20 PM
  • User-1857685018 posted

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  You aren't going to be "creating" any XML files per se, you would make a Web Reference to the XML Web Service in the other application's API.  Then on your end, you would interact with the Web Reference in your C#/VB code.  When your code is run, it will generate the XML posts that get sent to the web service and will translate the XML response into a format your code can work with.  Here is a tutorial that walks you though consuming the webservice from your code: http://www.dotnet-friends.com/articles/csharp/artincs558a4499-05fe-4f9f-aacb-b7d4132acad7.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:28 PM
  • User-74517680 posted

thanks a lot john for guiding me in a right direction...

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:34 PM
  • User-1857685018 posted

You're very welcome.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:49 PM