none
Oracle adapter and SQL Monitor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

I need your help in the following issue:

I am using Oracle Data Adapters for .NET (9.2) but I cannot find a way to monitor my queries sent to the database. Toad's Quest SQL Monitor cannot track my application. It seems to work only for other adapters.

Has anybody encountered such a problem before?

Can I use a free monitor tool instead?

Regards

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 10:19 AM

All replies

• What is it exactly that you want to monitor?

Oracle has some functionality here such as V$SQL (the data dictionary view) and the AUDIT statement.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:46 PM
  • I want to monitor the transactions of my C# application with the database. SQL Server manages that through SQL Profiler.

SQL Monitor is an equivalent to Profiler but does not work properly with my application. Trying to find a reason for this abnormal behaviour I assume that Oracle data adapter for .NET cannot work with SQL Monitor.

If you have any suggestions please comment on that.

BR

Thursday, June 7, 2007 10:07 PM

• I'm not really familiar with SQL Monitor but it looks like it monitors calls to the client software DLLs. There wouldn't be any direct interaction between .NET and SQL Monitor in this instance since .NET talks to the Oracle client DLLs and not SQL Monitor.

You might want to ask the vendor of the SQL Monitor product about any abnormal behavior.

Friday, June 8, 2007 1:07 PM
  • Thank you for your comment.

I am trying to find an alternative tool to perform such a tracing.

First of all, has Microsoft any built in feature for such thing?

Does anybody know any monitoring tool to suggest?

br,

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:31 AM
  •  

Hi,

let me provide an answer even the question is very old. It is possible to switch on tracing for the complete database or single sessions inside Oracle. This is even possible for another session as long it can be identified. Asking a skilled DBA about Oracle event 10046 tracefiles should solve your problem. 

Some Oracle third party tools like QueryAdvisor are offering this functionality in addition. There are free public and registered licenses available. You will find in the Knowledge section additional background information describing the structures of a tracefile and how to activate.

So give it a try...

RudeUrm

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:36 PM