Can we use Kinect for Desktop applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was just wondering about the Kinect Application Programming. I have desktop application (Windows Forms), can I use kinect SDK for the same? If Yes then how I can build application?Can I use Audio streaming/ Speech recolonization? Can anyone have any idea? Please let me know. what is the feasibility of kinect SDK to build the application.

Thanks,

Ajit

Friday, December 2, 2011 6:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Ajit,

You can use the Kinect SDK if you want and you should be able to send data from the device to your WinForm application, but what your app does with that data will be up to you.  Also you might need to handle some of the data yourself, like creating a new bitmap image for each frame of video as I don't believe that WinForms exposes a media control directly.

This would also mean you wouldn't be able to use a lot of the helper WPF utilities that are provided as part of the Kinect SDK.  For those reasons, you might choose to instead port your app from WinForms to using WPF so you don't have to re-invent so much of the Kinect handling portions.

But either way you should be able to proceed as you wish.  Just go through the tutorials to give yourself an idea on what data the device offers so you have a better feel of how you might want to integrate it with your application.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner - [MSFT]

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows Phone 7 Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Ajit,

You can use the Kinect SDK if you want and you should be able to send data from the device to your WinForm application, but what your app does with that data will be up to you.  Also you might need to handle some of the data yourself, like creating a new bitmap image for each frame of video as I don't believe that WinForms exposes a media control directly.

This would also mean you wouldn't be able to use a lot of the helper WPF utilities that are provided as part of the Kinect SDK.  For those reasons, you might choose to instead port your app from WinForms to using WPF so you don't have to re-invent so much of the Kinect handling portions.

But either way you should be able to proceed as you wish.  Just go through the tutorials to give yourself an idea on what data the device offers so you have a better feel of how you might want to integrate it with your application.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner - [MSFT]

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows Phone 7 Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:35 AM
  • Look at kinect mouse if you want to have kinect work with apps that dont accept kinect input but the aobve statement is correct you would have to do some recoding because the kinect beta one came in winforms version and their are some file differences.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:48 PM