Receiving windows push notification in a desktop app targeted for windows 7, 8 and 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows desktop application for which we have existing client using it on windows 7, 8 and 10. Now I want to register this application to receive windows push notification from cloud service. I read on MSDN and it says CreatePushNotificationChannelForApplicationAsync API for asking channel URI can only be available in windows uwp applications. I read regarding desktop bridge technology. But, it says that then the converted appx bundle should have min target version windows 10.0, build 14393i.e. anniversary update. But we have client using our application on windows 7 and 8 too. So, is this possible to register for windows push notification in windows desktop application targeted for windows 7 and 8? We thought that if it is not possible we can have no-GUI windows uwp application running on win 7 and 8 like a service, and give us the messages we received from cloud service by some IPC mechanism. And then we can launch that uwp application by its AUMID when client starts our application. But, that is also not seems possible as there is no option to have uwp command line application, also it is not possible to have win uwp app running and displaying its icon in windows tray. Please suggest how can we register for receiving windows push notification in a desktop app targeted for windows 7, 8 and 10?
    Sunday, April 1, 2018 10:04 AM

All replies

• there is no way to get a windows 7 app receive push notifications from the store.   may be you could have a service on windows 7 box which recieves a signal r message and launch the win 7 version of the app.  you can run a win 8 app on win 10 also so it might make sense to make a windows 8 version of app instead of win 10
    Sunday, April 1, 2018 1:34 PM
  • [uwp] [desktop] I believe it is windows 8 uwp app, can we have the windows 8 app without GUI/command line application, running in the background like service,just showing an icon in system tray?

Monday, April 2, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Hi  Hetal Agrawal,

>> can we have the windows 8 app without GUI/command line application, running in the background like service,just showing an icon in system tray?

Unfortunately, Windows 8 apps can't be console apps. You can have background tasks, but you still need a GUI component.

Best Regards,

Yong Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:13 AM