Renaming a SharePoint field does not reflect after creating a new site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a sitecollection and  I am creating some fields on it using a feature. Then I created a site A which consists of these fields. The site is created. Then I rename(the displayname) a field A to B. This is reflected on the Site A. But when I create a new site B later. the field still shows me the field's previous name that is A instead of B. Is this the default sharepoint behaiviour? Is there a workaround or am I missing some thing?

Thanks,

Bokes

Monday, February 14, 2011 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Bokes,

As far as I know, SharePoint 2007 does not support you to change SharePoint field name. once you create a filed, you can’t change the “SharePoint” name for it.

You can refer to this blog to get more detailed information about this question: http://webborg.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-sharepoint-stores-field-names.html.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I am not trying to change the "internal name" of the field. My expectation is that If I change the "Display Name" of the field it must reflect in all the later provisioned sites. As changing the DisplayName will hardly have any effect on the internal functioning of field.

Thanks,

Bokes

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:48 AM
  • I am not changing the Sharepoint (i believe Internal name) I want to change the Display Name.

Thanks,

Bokes

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Is Site B created under Site A or is it a seperate site collection ? If Site B is under site collection A then the new field display name will be shown. If Site B is a different site collection all together then the old field name is shown.
    Here to help.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 7:16 PM