Foreign key column showing ID (need to navigate more than one entity to get to name) RRS feed

• Question

• User-1336852631 posted

For my dynamic data application using Domain Service and Entity Framework, I have a model that includes the following entities:

Client -> ClientProducts -> ReleaseHistory

The ReleaseHistory page shows the foreign key for the ClientProducts table as a number (the id).   Normally to include the readable name for a foreign key, I use .Include() in the DomainService class, e.g. 

public IQueryable<ClientReleaseHistory> GetClientReleaseHistories()
            {
                    return ((ObjectQuery<ClientReleaseHistory>)(this.ObjectContext.ClientReleaseHistories.OrderBy(c => c.ID))).Include("ClientProduct").Include("ClientProduct.Product");
            }

This works fine where there is only one item in the .Include() call, but where I need to traverse more than one entity and have a dot separated list in .Include, it doesn't work (just displays the id).

Any ideas on how I would show the Product Name instead of the foreign key ID in this case. I thought of adding code to the GridView RowDataBound event, but I don't know of a way to access the GridView's controls for DynamicData. The other option would be to use a custom field template, but I wondered if there was an easier way.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:20 PM

Answers

• User-1336852631 posted

Sorry to answer my own question!

I realised I can solve this by adding a public property to the public partial class in the DomainService.metadata:

public partial class ClientReleaseHistory
        {
            public string Product
            {
                get
                {
                    return this.ClientProduct.Product.ProductName;
                }
            }

This then causes an additional Product column to appear showing the ProductName from the Product entity.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:00 AM