none
Kinect sensing through double pane uv treated window; RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm curious does anyone know if the xbox kinect device can capture information through a double pane thick uv treated window?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:43 PM

All replies

• I don't but if you have a sample, you can test it with the Kinect Configuration Verifier and check the depth data. If there's one thing that might have a problem with having glass in front of it will be the IR.

Another thing, make sure the sensor is pressed on the window as perfectly as possible, no void in between. I'm not an expert so I can't explain the reason, guessing it's to do with refraction,reflection,diffuse and the like. I know for a fact though that if you press it tightly on the window, then it has higher chances of success. You can check with the verifier to make sure. Also sometimes if the placement is wrong you might see circular voids in the depth image. There are indications. From here onward, it's just a question of how much the data degrades and whether the result is satisfactory.

EDIT: After some digging, it seems to be dependent on the refraction index of them medium you want the light to go through. When light enters from the air , into another medium with higher refraction index, then the rays get refracted by an angle which is dependent on the angle of entrance. So if you keep the angle upon entrance at 0 degrees you avoid any refraction.

http://interactagram.com/physics/optics/refraction/ . Set up the interactive example to Air and Glass and play with the angle.

Saturday, June 11, 2016 7:57 PM