none
ADO.net Entity Data Model template is missing in vs 2019 community, need help RRS feed

All replies

• Project/Add New Item/Data is where it is located in VS 2019 Community.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:14 AM
  • Hi,

Please open VS installer and confirm the component "Entity Framework 6 tools" has been installed?

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:49 AM
  • I have Entity Framework 6 Tools enabled in VS2019 Community Edition - but still no ADO.NET or any other SQL or other data connection choices in the Visual C#/data section;  I used the installer to upgrade today to the latest release.

All I get is three choices for adding a new item in data:

JSON File

JSON Schema File

XML File

So cannot install a database connection to include database in project - help urgently pls!

Friday, December 6, 2019 8:22 AM
  • I have Entity Framework 6 Tools enabled in VS2019 Community Edition - but still no ADO.NET or any other SQL or other data connection choices in the Visual C#/data section;  I used the installer to upgrade today to the latest release.

All I get is three choices for adding a new item in data:

JSON File

JSON Schema File

XML File

So cannot install a database connection to include database in project - help urgently pls!

I didn't do anything special in installing VS2019 Community. Maybe the install on your machine is bad.

Friday, December 6, 2019 9:27 PM
  • Oh, I just realised where is the problem! 

I had the same thing, couldn't find ADO.NET entity data model!

However what we probably have in common is that we opened "windows desktop app" instead of "windows form app"! 

So after I opened new windows form app the ADO.NET entity data model appeared!

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by AQEELA UROOJ Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:09 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi.

I had the same problem when tried to create a model under App_Data.

However, when I try the same under the project I get the option!

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 8:56 PM
  • I had the same issue, ADO.NET Entity Data Model would not show in a Console .NET Core project. I then delete this project and created a Console .NET Framework project and now I see ADO.NET Entity Data Model plus 8 other template. I have Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise.

M. Saleem Yusuf

• Proposed as answer by Saleem Yusuf Sunday, January 12, 2020 11:25 PM
    Monday, January 6, 2020 4:45 AM
  • I had the same issue, ADO.NET Entity Data Model would not show in a Console .NET Core project. I then delete this project and created a Console .NET Framework project and now I see ADO.NET Entity Data Model plus 8 other template. I have Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise.

M. Saleem Yusuf

EF Core uses Dbcontext scaffolding from the .NET Core Command Prompt or through the Nuget Package Manager Console. So there is no ADO.NET Entity Data Model that is ever going to show in Visual Stuido for a Core project of any type that will implement the ADO.NET Core Entity Framework  based on model creation.

https://www.entityframeworktutorial.net/efcore/create-model-for-existing-database-in-ef-core.aspx

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ef/core/miscellaneous/cli/powershell

• Proposed as answer by Saleem Yusuf Sunday, January 12, 2020 11:25 PM
    Monday, January 6, 2020 5:13 AM
  • Thank you it works well.
    Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:10 PM
  • You should be careful when creating new project, and choose WINDOWS FORMS APP(.NET FRAMEWORK) because this is what you are looking for to work with .NET ENTITY FRAMEWORK DATA MODEL
    • Proposed as answer by Misaghfar Saturday, March 21, 2020 12:25 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2020 12:25 PM
  • I had same problem and I just stumbled upon this post. Just wanted to share my two cents. I guess it's something to do with way how .net standard library has been implemented instead of earlier Base class library. So For example when you look at class library(.net standard)  that is referencing by default to SDK. So template available for these project is different. Ado.net as template is not available to class library project but is there let's say for WebApi projects. Take a class library or project that refer to .net framework and you should be fine. Choose first Class lib and you will see Ado.net chosse second option and you don't see it

Sunday, March 29, 2020 3:19 PM
  • I found out the hard way you can't make an ADO.Net Entity Data Model with an interface with .NET Core, but you can with .NET Framework. With .NET Core, you can write some commands in the Package Manager Console to link you db to a model, but you don't have the same functionality as you do with a .NET Framework project that guides you through with a wizard. 
    Monday, June 29, 2020 12:49 PM
  • I found out the hard way you can't make an ADO.Net Entity Data Model with an interface with .NET Core, but you can with .NET Framework. With .NET Core, you can write some commands in the Package Manager Console to link you db to a model, but you don't have the same functionality as you do with a .NET Framework project that guides you through with a wizard. 

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ErikEJ.EFCorePowerTools

One can install the PowerTools that has Reverse Engineering graphical interface that can be pointed at an existing database and select the tables to build the EF Model with a Visual Stuido project.

• Edited by DA924x Monday, June 29, 2020 3:11 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2020 3:10 PM
  • Yes, for Visual Studio 2019 community edition that ADO.NET Entity Model template is not showing from the wizard. So I have downloaded again 2017 community edition and there I got it. It just because of framework issue nothing else. Basically in .NET Core Console/Web Application this features are not compatible even though if you install some package through VSIX installer or through some nuget package. Until .NET Framework 4.8 it is working as expected. 

So I will recommend especially to Microsoft dev team to look into this issue in Visual Studio 2019 community edition and make a fix on upcoming releases.  

Regards,

Sagar Chowdhury

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 4:37 PM
  • This worked for me, I selected class Library .Net Framework and not .Net Standard.
    Monday, July 13, 2020 4:08 PM
  • Class Library .Net Standard don't have option of ADO.NET Entity Data Model in Visual Studio 2019, Select class Library .Net Framework.
    Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:52 PM
  • not working.
    Thursday, July 30, 2020 12:04 PM
  • "not working." is not a posting that by itself is likely to do anyone any good or elicit any help for you.  What did you try, what failed, and what errors, if any, were produced?
    Friday, July 31, 2020 2:58 PM
  • Hello Sir

Do not Install In Entity Framework In Visual Studio 2019 

Please Solve My Problem 

Sunday, August 9, 2020 12:07 PM
  • Hello Sir

Do not Install In Entity Framework In Visual Studio 2019 

Please Solve My Problem 

You need to start a new thread and explain your problem.
    Sunday, August 9, 2020 4:38 PM
  • Thanks... that solution worked for me.... 
    Tuesday, August 11, 2020 1:17 AM