none
finger detection in near mode Kinect(Range 40-50 cm) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to track fingertips with the sensor placed as close as 40- 50cm to the hand. But I see grainy image of the hand which makes it impossible to track the fingertips accurately as the grains separates the hand parts.  The image is in good quality when hand is placed further than 60cm. Is there any way to tune the image and make the image coming from the kinect smoother so that i am able to track fingertips?.

I need this short range because i would want to strap the kinect around chest and stretch hand forward to detect hand gestures. Since the maximum distance from chest to hand is 50cm I really need it working in this range. any suggestion?

• Edited by Vinithalk Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:39 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:29 PM

All replies

• I'm as disappointed as you are with the Kinect's low-distance depth image quality. We have a in-house finger tracking solution that works splendid for even 35cm distance when using a difference camera (Time OF Flight, not the Kinect). Using the Kinect at distances < 80cm in near-mode yields bad results, because hands appear with many holes (like Swiss cheese :D). You might try morphological operations like closing to fill gaps, maybe that will improve things (do this after you thresholded the hand using the distance values)
    Monday, July 2, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Thanks a lot. This gives me a clue to proceed. So what is Time OF Flight? If you could send me a link about it or to buy it that would be of great help :).

Vinitha

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:24 PM
  • I'd suggest you simply read the Wikipedia article that explains the principle of Time of  Flight.

Regarding camera hardware, see e.g. Swissranger camera or the DepthSense products. Panasonic also has a few products in that area.

The only affordable product probably is the DepthSense311 from SoftKinetic.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:50 AM