Problem Publishing RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to publish my VB .Net code, I get a series of errors relating to the length of the file names/directories:

Error 2 Unable to copy file "bin\Release\Filllmark Saleshelper Configurator.exe.manifest" to "bin\Release\Filllmark Saleshelper Configurator.publish\Filllmark Saleshelper Configurator_1_1_1_0\Filllmark Saleshelper Configurator.exe.manifest". The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters. Filllmark Saleshelper Configurator

Can anyone tell me how to go about solving a problem like this one?  Is the only way to really solve it to set my build output path to someplace other than beneath my project so that the directory name length will be shorter?  I am reluctant to do that...

Sunday, January 29, 2006 3:17 PM

Answers

• Is the only way to really solve it to set my build output path to someplace other than beneath my project so that the directory name length will be shorter?

You could do that, or you could simply rename your project to a smaller size.  Instead of "Filllmark Saleshelper Configurator" you could just call the project "FSC" and this would greatly reduce the path string size.  There are other ways within the programming to make your application windows/splash screens/etc to display the full name.  Just by resaving the project as a smaller name should solve the issue you are facing though.

That would be my first suggestion, but if you really want, you could always create a separate folder for this occasion, that would work too.

Wednesday, February 1, 2006 5:17 AM

All replies

• You don't have much choice. You can use the Publishing to specfy a publication path.
    Monday, January 30, 2006 6:14 AM
  • Is the only way to really solve it to set my build output path to someplace other than beneath my project so that the directory name length will be shorter?

You could do that, or you could simply rename your project to a smaller size.  Instead of "Filllmark Saleshelper Configurator" you could just call the project "FSC" and this would greatly reduce the path string size.  There are other ways within the programming to make your application windows/splash screens/etc to display the full name.  Just by resaving the project as a smaller name should solve the issue you are facing though.

That would be my first suggestion, but if you really want, you could always create a separate folder for this occasion, that would work too.

Wednesday, February 1, 2006 5:17 AM