error on instal .net framework 2.0 (due to another version already installed) can't install 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• User-1765479170 posted

Hello,

I need help. I have a program that requires .net framework 2.0 in order to install & use. I have newer versions & older ones already installed. I have 1.1, 1.1 hotfix, 2.0sp2, 3.0sp2 & 3.5 sp1.    I can't uninstall any because I get a pop up saying other programs require them to run with a fatal error.

How can I run the program I need to if I can't uninstall the newer version so I can instal 2.0, and if I can't instal the program without it attempting to instal 2.0 (causing an error of incompatability bacuse of a newer version already installed) for me before installing itself.

Thank you for any assistance

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:39 AM

Answers

• User1735976268 posted

Okay, you're not a programmer? I was assuming you were because this forum is for ASP.NET developers. Did you come here because of the .NET-related error message? It sounds to me like you should be calling that tech back in.

By the sounds of it, your computer has all the necessary frameworks installed. I really have no idea what is wrong with the software you're trying to install. Is there a way to contact the company that wrote it to get support?

Can you try installing it on a different computer?

Are you an Administrator on the computer you are attempting to install it on? If you aren't then it may just be that the software is trying to do something that you (as the running user) do not have the access rights to do.

You could try asking your question over here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/threads

Or here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:18 AM

All replies

• User1735976268 posted

You said you have .NET 2.0 SP2 installed, so what's the problem? Is there an error message or eventvwr log entry to give more detailsf.

.NET 3.5 is pretty much fully backwards compatible with .NET 2.0, so if its a matter of upgrading the code I'd say do it.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:55 AM
  • User-1765479170 posted

Hello,

I don't know from looking in add or remove programs if I have .net framework 3.5 and the service pack 1 or just the service pack, the same with the others, except for .net framework 1.1 I know I have that.  I just can't tell by the wording if I have only the service packs on the others. Also, the error message says a conection with the server could not be established when I try to install the software I downloaded that requires the 2.0 version. When it attempts to instal, it says in the window, framework Component Instalerwithj.exe (1 of 1) connecting 127.0.0.1  This is when the software attempts to download .net framework 2.0 from microsoft. Then I can click retry or cancel. retry does the same thing agian. It says in the instal that if you have 2.0 on your comp that it will skip installing it for you. It tells me that I don't have it on my comp. That is why I thought maybe I only have the "service pack" and not the framework.  I don't know to upgrade the code, could you tell me how to do that, if that is what I need to do to be able to use the software I downloaded.

Thank you

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:08 PM
  • User1735976268 posted

Boy that's a toughy. What I can tell you is that its impossible to have just the service pack. If you have .NET 3.5 SP1 that means you have .NET 3.5 and SP1. With .NET 2.0 SP2 means you have the framework version plus everything from both service packs.

I'm not sure how the installer checks dependencies, that's not something I'm familiar with in general. However, I can imagine that if the app was written before any service packs came out for SP2 that it may simply be misreading the assembly version for .NET 2.0 or something.

Here are some helpful links:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and whether service packs have been applied

How to detect the installed version of the .NET Framework in a Visual Studio Setup and Deployment package

Adding a Launch Condition in the Launch Conditions Editor

Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:59 AM
  • User-1765479170 posted

Hello,

I went to one of the links 1st one that you gave me to repair the 2.0, in following the instructions for the Repair Windows installer cache file, I don't find any file marked Microsft .net framework, so can't repair it. A tech that I once used dissabled my windows explorer so can't locate files this way cause don't know how to turn it back on. I think I originally downloaded from Microsoft site, so can't try the Redestributable package option. 3rd option I'm too afraid to do, due to the security risks. I am unable to locate this on my computer in looking in program files. Mscorlib.dll file, I do find Microsoft.Net in that I only find Primary Interop Assemblies, in that only 5 .dll items none of which are Mscorlib.dll. I am not familiar with the 2nd link instructions same with the 3rd link I think they are for programers & developers, I am neither. Any new suggestions. Maybe how I can get the windows explorer to work again, I tride it from the start menu, put that doesn't work either. It is somehow, dissabled to not work at all but does appear on the bottom rungline & is installed on my comp.

Thank you

Friday, December 4, 2009 7:14 PM
  • User1735976268 posted

Okay, you're not a programmer? I was assuming you were because this forum is for ASP.NET developers. Did you come here because of the .NET-related error message? It sounds to me like you should be calling that tech back in.

By the sounds of it, your computer has all the necessary frameworks installed. I really have no idea what is wrong with the software you're trying to install. Is there a way to contact the company that wrote it to get support?

Can you try installing it on a different computer?

Are you an Administrator on the computer you are attempting to install it on? If you aren't then it may just be that the software is trying to do something that you (as the running user) do not have the access rights to do.

You could try asking your question over here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/threads

Or here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:18 AM