none
How to programmatically send outlook task updates? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to find any info on how to programmatically send a task update. All I have so far is "Dim taskupdate As Outlook.TaskRequestUpdateItem = Nothing", but I don't know where to go from there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:41 PM

Answers

• A task update is only sent when a task is changed by the owner, where the update is sent to the delegator of the task. You need to change the underlying task object, such as by changing percent complete or some other property, assuming your code is running under the context of the task owner.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "becksftw" <=?utf-8?B?YmVja3NmdHc=?=> wrote in message news:15a2ceeb-7f79-4a6b-9892-c1547bfe8b98...
    I can't seem to find any info on how to programmatically send a task update. All I have so far is "Dim taskupdate As Outlook.TaskRequestUpdateItem = Nothing", but I don't know where to go from there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, October 5, 2012 5:19 PM

All replies

• A task update is only sent when a task is changed by the owner, where the update is sent to the delegator of the task. You need to change the underlying task object, such as by changing percent complete or some other property, assuming your code is running under the context of the task owner.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "becksftw" <=?utf-8?B?YmVja3NmdHc=?=> wrote in message news:15a2ceeb-7f79-4a6b-9892-c1547bfe8b98...
    I can't seem to find any info on how to programmatically send a task update. All I have so far is "Dim taskupdate As Outlook.TaskRequestUpdateItem = Nothing", but I don't know where to go from there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, October 5, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Ken,

Thank you for your response. I'm looking to be able to programmatically change things such as percent complete from the context of whoever the task was delegated too, so that when this happens the "percent complete" portion of the task also updates for whomever created the task. Also, I am trying to enumerate the task requests that are in a persons inbox, but am having trouble doing so. Is looking in the inbox folder then checking for where message class = ipm.taskrequest sufficient? 

Friday, October 5, 2012 6:00 PM
  • If the code is running in the owner's mailbox changing percent complete will trigger an update automatically. If you have access to that user's mailbox you can change the property as desired. Otherwise you won't be able to do what you want.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "becksftw" <=?utf-8?B?YmVja3NmdHc=?=> wrote in message news:23c532e4-5600-4a4e-81a7-f264cbc7de1b...

Ken,

Thank you for your response. I'm looking to be able to programmatically change things such as percent complete from the context of whoever the task was delegated too, so that when this happens the "percent complete" portion of the task also updates for whomever created the task. Also, I am trying to enumerate the task requests that are in a persons inbox, but am having trouble doing so. Is looking in the inbox folder then checking for where message class = ipm.taskrequest sufficient? 

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, October 5, 2012 7:51 PM