Client Side and server side paging, sorting and filtering RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have to build new application, Windows application
    in this application i will use, SQL server 2008 and VS 2008

like any database application, the data will grow with time and also we need to do the filtering and sorting technique.

I was doing some research, all the articles talk about that you have to do your sorting/filtering on client side or on server side and non of these articles talk about combining these between client and server side,

may be the idea look a bit strange and i don't know if any one has think of it before
    but when you build your application, you have to decide on wish side to do your paging

so if you do it on your client side and with time you database has a large number of rows so you have to re-write your code to do the paging on server side....

I don't know, I was wonder is there is any idea like to build a component that combine both ways ?? (donno if it is possible)

And what is the Hibernation technique? I was reading that someone use the Hibernation and the API to do the combination..

thanks for helping. 
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Wael

When you say server side paging what technology are you referring to? There is no simple answer to your question but general rule of thumb is if your application needs data that is expensive to retrieve (takes up more than desired resources) and the data changes infrequently then client side caching is best.  You can do this by creating your own caching solution or use technologies like ADO.NET disconnected datasets and Query Notifications.

Hope this helps

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:43 AM