Upgrading to WF 4 - CallExternalEventActivity and HandleExternalEventActivity RRS feed

• Question

• My workflows in (WF 3.5) contain CallExternalEventActivity and HandleExternalEventActivity. Each workflow contains multiple "pairs" of these activities(used for page navigation). I want to upgrade to WF 4.

Which activities must be used to replace the CallExternalEventActivity and HandleExternalEventActivity?

I think it maybe the SendAndReceive but I do not know how to implement this activity.

My workflow is hosted within an ASP.NET application. And; the communication or "middlebit" is handled through aninterface(My external method is here as well as the Event implementation). I need to use something similar as I have multiple workflow types the communicate through this interface. So is it possible to use my middle layer with the new WF 4 activities?

I need to implement multiple workflowtypes(Workflow1.xaml, Workflow2.xaml, etc.) - can all these be hosted within one workflowservicehost instance or do I need multiple?

Are there any examples that can assist with the above issues. I have searched endlessly and I can't seem to find content specifically solving the above issues. 

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• I found that with the combination of extensions and bookmarks I am able to apply the same logic
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:03 PM
  • hi,i am searching for the same kind of stuff,i am new to workflow can you give me an idea and a bit of explanation on extensions ,i got an idea on bookmarks,how both are used ....

regards,
    rajendra.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:44 AM
  • We just released WF Migration Kit CTP1 on Codeplex http://wf.codeplex.com/releases/view/41401, which helps you to migrate from WF 3.0 to 4.0. Take the tutorial document as a reference, it exactly uses these two activities as example.

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:09 AM