ASP.NET application not finding Oracle.Web.Dll RRS feed

• Question

• User-776265321 posted

I am deploying an ASP.NET/Oracle web application (that I did not write).  I have successfully deployed it on two Win 7 laptops and one Win 10 laptop about 6 months ago.  However, deploying it now I get the error below.  I noticed my other installations have Oracle.Web.dll version 4.121.2.0 while this latest one has 4.121.2.1 (perhaps Oracle's ODAC has changed?).

I read other posts with similar problems but they haven't solved my issue.  I should mention that I know little about ASP.NET and Oracle.  Do I need to get this version of Oracle.Web.dll registered in the GAC? is there another solution? I've looked at the machine.config file and "OraAspNetConString" is set to blanks (just like all my other installations that work).  Any suggestions on what to try will be appreciated - thanks.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.Web, Version=4.121.2.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:
    Line 274: <healthMonitoring>
    Line 275: <providers>
    Line 276: <add name="OracleWebEventProvider" type="Oracle.Web.Management.OracleWebEventProvider, Oracle.Web, Version=4.121.2.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342" connectionStringName="OraAspNetConString" buffer="true" bufferMode="OracleNotification" />
    Line 277: </providers>
    Line 278: </healthMonitoring>

Source File: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config Line: 276

Friday, December 6, 2019 8:16 PM

Answers

• User-776265321 posted

Yes, I tried that, but then things didn't work at all.  I got the error message "Hmmm can't seem to find that site" or something like that from IIS when I entered the URL in the browser.  I think perhaps it needs to be registered in the .NET GAC (Assembly) ?? -- not really sure why it didn't work. (thanks for the suggestion though)

I do have a solution though -- one that has been expressed in other posts but not always with enough details.

The solution that worked for me was:

1. Re-install (or install) ODAC 64bit (or 32 bit I guess if you have a 32 bit machine)

2. But be sure it is the matching version of the error message. In my case 4.121.2.1 is ODAC Release 4 and there are many download options on Oracle's website.  Release 3 is 4.121.2.0 and that did not work for me.

3. Also be sure to specify the CORRECT Oracle Home Path and CORRECT Oracle Home Name!   Very important!  I did it wrong the first time and could have saved myself a lot of aggravation if I got it correct the first time.

Thanks to all.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 9:16 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

The file does not exist in the application's bin directory on the server.  Copy the file.

Friday, December 6, 2019 9:03 PM
  • User-776265321 posted

Yes, I tried that, but then things didn't work at all.  I got the error message "Hmmm can't seem to find that site" or something like that from IIS when I entered the URL in the browser.  I think perhaps it needs to be registered in the .NET GAC (Assembly) ?? -- not really sure why it didn't work. (thanks for the suggestion though)

I do have a solution though -- one that has been expressed in other posts but not always with enough details.

The solution that worked for me was:

1. Re-install (or install) ODAC 64bit (or 32 bit I guess if you have a 32 bit machine)

2. But be sure it is the matching version of the error message. In my case 4.121.2.1 is ODAC Release 4 and there are many download options on Oracle's website.  Release 3 is 4.121.2.0 and that did not work for me.

3. Also be sure to specify the CORRECT Oracle Home Path and CORRECT Oracle Home Name!   Very important!  I did it wrong the first time and could have saved myself a lot of aggravation if I got it correct the first time.

Thanks to all.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 9:16 PM