Getting "HTTP Error 503: The service is unavailable" when launching SQL Server 2008 R2 Master Data Services web site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am testing MDS and I am getting "HTTP Error 503: The service is unavailable". The following are my system configurations

Windows 2008 Standard Server , IIS 7.0, IE8, SQL Server 2008 R2 --- All runs on the same server.

I used my personal Windows AD id (our AD is 2000 or 2003, not 2008) for the MDS database, service and the MDS application/site ("Identity").

My Windows AD id has full permission to the Master Data Services folder and part of IIS_IUSRS, MDS_Service Account and Administrators group.

I enabled the httpGetEnabled="true" in the web.config file

Windows Authentication is enabled (only) enabled in the IIS

In spite of all these every time when I try to launch the MDS page I get this 503 error and in the Windows Event log I get the following 3 events recorded and then the MDS application pool stops

Event ID 5021 (warning)

Event ID 5057 (warning)

Event ID 5059 (Error)

I looked at the related posts in the microsoft site for the above events and I followed the steps mentioned in the resolution and I still can't access the site.

Any help to resolve this is much appreciated.

P.S.

(1) The default site with the "identity of NetworkService" works fine and it takes to the IIS home page.

(2) My Windows account password is valid and did not expire

Thanks

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:43 AM

Answers

• There are some troubleshooting steps listed here (including the one you ran into):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2390.aspx

If you are just testing MDS for the first time and want to do a simple setup, I always tell people to select the Default Web Site and then click Create Application. The Config Mgr UI in Denali is hopefully a bit more clear in this respect.

The two primary setup workflows are:

- Use default website and create new application.

- Create new website, in which case the web application is automatically created.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne Selhorn [MSFT]
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:34 PM

All replies

• Hi

An update for the above issue. One of my colleague who knows IIS, asked me to change the "MDS Application Pool" identity to "Local System" from my personal windows domain id (which is used for MDS Service, Administration etc., as mentioned in the last post). Now at least I am able to get to the default page. Not sure what other problems this is going to lead to as the documentation suggests the identity should be the same as the service & admin account.

Please let me know if any one else had to go through this and any suggestions.

Thanks

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:08 PM
  • There are some troubleshooting steps listed here (including the one you ran into):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2390.aspx

If you are just testing MDS for the first time and want to do a simple setup, I always tell people to select the Default Web Site and then click Create Application. The Config Mgr UI in Denali is hopefully a bit more clear in this respect.

The two primary setup workflows are:

- Use default website and create new application.

- Create new website, in which case the web application is automatically created.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne Selhorn [MSFT]
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Suzanne

Thanks for the response. For some reason I did not get an email from the forum about the response, so I thought no one responded. I accidentally checked today.

As I mentioned in my update on 22nd September, I changed the identity to run on "LocalSystem" account eventhough I created the site and the database using my windows account. Not I am able to access the MDS home page. But the users I added (all Windows domain users) are not able to access the site. They are getting "Access Denied". I added them to the default administrators group and MDS_Service group in the server, but still they are not able to access.

When I look at their "Membership" it shows they are part of the administrator group. But there are no "Functions" assigned to them. I am not able to assign them any function from "Available" list. Its all greyed out. Even though I am an adiministrator and I was able to add them as users, I am not able to assign them permissions?

Do you have any solution for this?

P.S. The current MDS Application is running under the default web site.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:50 PM
  • There is an Edit icon above the Functions list that some of us do not notice when we first look at the screen.  If you click on this button, the functions in the "Available" list will no longer be greyed out.  You can them move over some or all of them from the list box on the left to the list box on the right.
    • Edited by MichaelW62 Tuesday, September 9, 2014 6:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 6:26 PM