SQL Data Mirror Question RRS feed

• Question

• Does any one have any recommendations concerning replication when it comes to hardware failure.

I have many sites with one SQL Server in each - i'm contemplating the installation of hot spare servers in some locations - should a server die - I can put the hot spare into production fairly quickly, mainly because the DATA would Already be on the server - in other words a restore would not be needed thus lessening the time to get the spare server running etc etc.

I'm exploring a third party tool called "Double-take" - byte level replication

But then i read about SQL2005 (which we have not yet implemeted) that may have a built in SQL mirror possibility - (i might need primary server - a Secondary - and a "witness" server which allows automatic failover)

Any one's advice would be graetly appreciated.

Gibson767 

Thursday, August 24, 2006 2:31 PM

Answers

• In your existing version of SQL Server, you can do both replication and log shipping to create a standby server.  In SQL Server 2005, you add in Database Mirroring to both replication and log shipping as options for a standby server.  For simple and completely decoupled, log shipping is a good option.  Replication is also a good option if you want to have lower latency and also be able to leverage your standby machine for additional capacity.
    Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:55 PM