none
debugging WER minidumps using SOS.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, we have a shrink-wrapped application that is sold world-wide, and we use Windows Error Reporting to give us feedback about production crashes and hangs etc... I am using WinDbg to debug the mini dumps that we recieve from WER, but I am constantly running into issues with specific versions of the following dll's

SOS.dll, mscorwks.dll and mscordacwrks.dll

Of course I don't have access to the users machine that the crash occured on, but I have been able to successfully build up a library of most versions that I have seen in the wild by downloading .msu files and extracting the necessary dlls. unfortunately, there are some versions that I just can't seem to find in a .msu format.

What is the general approach to sourcing these dll's when debugging shrink-wrapped WER dumps?

Thanks

Senior Developer - Readify
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:37 AM

Answers

• What are the issues you're running into?

You need the same version of the .Net framework installed on the computer that you're debugging on, that the assembly was compiled against. Sometimes if the debugging computer has multiple versions of the .Net framework you need to specify the full path to mscorwks.dll. Also, once you start working on .Net 4.0 you target clr.dll instead of mscorwks.

• Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:11 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Hi Scott,

I am not clear on your issue. What do you mean "unfortunately, there are some versions that I just can't seem to find in a .msu format."?

Actually, the assemblies you mentioned like "SOS.dll, mscorwks.dll and mscordacwrks.dll" are not part of the application, they are part of .NET Framework or some extendibility. They are not necessary to obtain from dump. 

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

I am not clear on your issue. What do you mean "unfortunately, there are some versions that I just can't seem to find in a .msu format."?

Actually, the assemblies you mentioned like "SOS.dll, mscorwks.dll and mscordacwrks.dll" are not part of the application, they are part of .NET Framework or some extendibility. They are not necessary to obtain from dump. 

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:51 AM
  • What are the issues you're running into?

You need the same version of the .Net framework installed on the computer that you're debugging on, that the assembly was compiled against. Sometimes if the debugging computer has multiple versions of the .Net framework you need to specify the full path to mscorwks.dll. Also, once you start working on .Net 4.0 you target clr.dll instead of mscorwks.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:45 PM
  •  

Hi,

Has your issue been resolved? Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Now I will mark an answer, you can mark others that you think to be so useful to your issue.

If you still have any questions about this issue, please feel free to let me know. 

Have a nice day!

Paul Zhou [MSFT]

Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:11 AM