What's New in Visual Studio 2012 with SQL Server Data Tools? RRS feed

• Question

• What new capabilities have been added to SQL Server Data Tools in the Visual Studio 2012 release since the release of SQL Server 2012 in March this year?

When will SSDT achieve feature parity with Visual Studio 2010 Database Projects?  I'm most interested in the Data Compare functionality.

Thanks!

Brad

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Brad!

Feature differences between SSDT in VS2012 RTM and SSDT released with SQL Server 2012 aren't huge -- lots and lots of bug fixes, some improved experiences (for example, around LocalDB), and integration with VS2012-specific features (for example, VS2012's improvements for Find, document preview, source control integration).

We will be releasing an update to the web soon for both VS2010 and VS2012 that contains more as well, and sets us up to continue to release web updates to both shells frequently. SSDT for VS2010 and VS2012 will remain basically equivalent as we continue to add features, so that you work together on the same projects and artifacts with others across those VS versions.

Data Compare and other TSData parity features (Database Unit Testing for example) are coming! We are actively working on these. Nothing will be in the upcoming update for them, but we are aiming to get functionality for these to you within the year ideally.

Thanks!

Sarah McDevitt

Sarah McDevitt Program Manager SQL Server Data Tools

Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad!

Feature differences between SSDT in VS2012 RTM and SSDT released with SQL Server 2012 aren't huge -- lots and lots of bug fixes, some improved experiences (for example, around LocalDB), and integration with VS2012-specific features (for example, VS2012's improvements for Find, document preview, source control integration).

We will be releasing an update to the web soon for both VS2010 and VS2012 that contains more as well, and sets us up to continue to release web updates to both shells frequently. SSDT for VS2010 and VS2012 will remain basically equivalent as we continue to add features, so that you work together on the same projects and artifacts with others across those VS versions.

Data Compare and other TSData parity features (Database Unit Testing for example) are coming! We are actively working on these. Nothing will be in the upcoming update for them, but we are aiming to get functionality for these to you within the year ideally.

Thanks!

Sarah McDevitt

Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Data Compare and other TSData parity features (Database Unit Testing for example) are coming! We are actively working on these. Nothing will be in the upcoming update for them, but we are aiming to get functionality for these to you within the year ideally.

Thanks!

Sarah McDevitt

Hi Sarah,

That is good news, because Data Compare is critical. Will the Data Compare be purely a tool for comparing and updating two database instances (as I've seen in VS2010 with SSDT), or will it also allow for storing static data within the project via the tool (compare static data in the project versus static data deployed to a development/qa/uat/live database - like RedGate Source Control's data linkage, which allows for the schema as well as static data to be synched to a repository like SVN)?

It would be great if a similar concept to generating the DACPAC on build, and generating the BACPAC on build based on static data in the project was possible. Then this BACPAC could be deployed to an instance somehow. I'm not sure if importing BACPAC's allows partial import (only touch these tables, and not these ones), still looking up info on BACPAC's.

Currently I have only been trying out SSDT as an alternative to using the RedGate tooling, and unfortunately can't switch because of this - don't want to maintain a post-deployment script that imports a lot of merge scripts that also need to be maintained; want the tooling to do it for me.

Thanks,

James

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:45 AM
  • Is there any ETA for when we should expect these features to be added back into the product??

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:50 PM
  • When can we expect Data Compare in Visual Studio 2012 ?
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:39 AM
  • I would not hold my breath, they have been saying they are working on bringing back the missing features from Visual Studio 2010 database projects since the day SSDT was released in Feb 2012. One of the SQL Server executives told us at Teched this would be delivered no later than Visual Studio 2012 release + 3 months. 

Today we are at 2012 RTM + 8 month or so and they just released the database unit testing functionality.

We are waiting on the missing extensible features. We cannot move to SSDT because we are depending on our own static code analysis rules, we have about 20 rules that we wrote to augment our development processes.

We also rely on build and deployment contributors to implement targeted drops of objects, to support our Drop Object refactoring implementation. 

Right now we are investigating hacking the model.xml but that only gets us halfway it seems, we need to be able to influence deployment output. So right now we are stuck at Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2, not because we wanted to, but we drank the cool-aid and now we cannot update, saved us money that is the only good thing.

I first have to see before I believe their intentions. The brain trust behind VSDB and SSDT @DataDude left the SQL Server team, as have many others so I have been told by some MVPs. So I wonder how many people are working on this?

Milo.A. Hoffman

Milo A. Hoffman

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:32 AM
  • We had to move to SQL Server 2012 today for various reasons... and losing the Data Generation Visual Studio 2010 project we had spent so much time creating... really caused a loss in investment.  We stayed on VS 2010 and SQL Server 2008 as long as we could.  Has anyone tried the new SSDT Unit Test framework ?  Is it a replacement for the VS2010 Data Generation ?? I noticed the project upgrade to VS2012 to SSDT did not do anything with our database generation components.. so that is all lost, correct ?  

We appreciate any information about the unittest data creation capabilities in SSDT.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:58 PM
  • @James: Unit tests are different from data generation.

Daniel

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:06 PM
  • @Daniel I agree... not sure where in my previous post that may have been confused for each other
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Oh no, just found out now I need it in VS2012 - Data Compare from 2010 has been removed! Clunk, a critical module now that subscriptions to previous 3rd party tools expired after the joy of VS2010. Seriously backwards.

<sound of spanner dropping/>

Please bring it back quick, it's over a quarter way through the year 2013!!

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Can someone, please, provide me with a valuable argument why even considering Visual Studio other than lack of alternative?

It is so FRUSTRATING to get a new version of VS and feel totally left alone. No proper documentation that describes the differences between the versions in a way that the user can stay productive. Who at Microsoft truly believes that the customer is a highschool who has all the time in world to spend countless hours of browsing the web to find information Microsoft should provide with their product?????

For example, why does it take hours of confusion to learn about how Visual Studio 2012 addresses the need of a SQL Database Server project in Visual Studio 2010 to address server logins???????????????????????????????????????????

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Maybe it would help if you state what you want to do and achieve.

Milo A. Hoffman

Friday, May 31, 2013 3:55 AM