none
Publishing My Completed Project? (2015 Community)

Question

• What do I do to create a .exe file if I want to test my project out on another computer, or simply test it out myself?

I've looked at "Publish" under "Build" and it only seems to allow me to create some web-based thing.  I just want to turn my project into a file that can be opened and run as it does when I debug.

Saturday, January 02, 2016 5:58 PM

All replies

• What do I do to create a .exe file if I want to test my project out on another computer, or simply test it out myself?

I've looked at "Publish" under "Build" and it only seems to allow me to create some web-based thing.  I just want to turn my project into a file that can be opened and run as it does when I debug.

This falls under the category of "deployment", and the techniques of deployment depend on the type of application you are creating. For example, one of the  simplest deployments of a C++ program is to use the /MT switch. This incorporates all the run-time dependent code into the executable so that you can simply copy the executable to the target computer and run it directly without copying any dependent DLL'.s

You haven't told us what type of project you are building. If it is C#, the deployment can be a bit more cumbersome and there are a variety of strategies available. For more, read here.

Saturday, January 02, 2016 7:27 PM

[...]

In simple cases, maybe you should also consider the way based on general dexterity. Build your project and find the generated .EXE file. Usually it is Debug or Release subfolder of your solution. For checking on other machines, you usually build a Release version.

If .EXE file is large, or your set consists of several files, then you can compress them using Windows utilities.

Then use the browser, enter to your Hotmail or Outlook, and go to OneDrive storage, offered for your account. Here you can upload your files. Then you can download them on another machine or share with friends.

Sunday, January 03, 2016 9:37 AM
  • It is a C# WPF project.
    Monday, January 04, 2016 5:04 PM

• In simple cases, maybe you should also consider the way based on general dexterity. Build your project and find the generated .EXE file. Usually it is Debug or Release subfolder of your solution. For checking on other machines, you usually build a Release version.

I selected 'Release' instead of 'Debug', and it seemed to just laaunch the application again, it didn't prompt me to create a .exe file of any kind.  Here's a screenshot.

Monday, January 04, 2016 5:36 PM
  • Well... I figured it out.  Partially.

It is the same as when I published projects in Express 2013... Go to "Build", then select "Publish" with the WWW Symbol.

I've created the application by selecting "Install From a CD-ROM" instead of the other options, being "Website", etc.  which I need to look into.

I selected, after, "Do not search for updates", because I didn't think that was necessary.

Now I have my .exe

...Is this sufficient if I wanted to publish my program to the Windows Store or Google Play?

• Marked as answer by TheRedGuy1990 Monday, January 04, 2016 6:03 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TheRedGuy1990 Thursday, January 07, 2016 5:19 PM
    Monday, January 04, 2016 6:03 PM
  • Never mind.

This is not a .exe  It's a .application, whatever that is.

So do I really need to use all of this deployment stuff to turn it into a .exe?

Thursday, January 07, 2016 5:19 PM
  • exe should be there too..

otherwise, if you selected release go the folder of your project and then bin\release\ , you should find the exe there

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Thursday, January 07, 2016 6:31 PM