why i cannot save ? RRS feed

• Question

• am using visaul basic express and sql express 2008, I cannot save or update or insert any information to my database(table) why?
    I tryed everything i read everything about it and still not working, so why?

its because visual basic and sql express is not a full version?

what am doing wrong, am using bindingsource, I drag and drop the things on form but when i try to insert a new record into the table does not save....

when I open the table I cannot see the information that I inserted....
    am using sdf.

Thanks
    0&1Bytes
    Friday, May 15, 2009 9:09 PM

Answers

• deep,

this is a common problem.  the project works with 2 databases.  one in the main folder and another in the bin\debug folder which is for testing.  the second one is a copy of the first which is created when you build or run.  when you make design changes in vb, it is changing the one in the main folder.  then it will copy over the testing one so you are testing the app with the new changes.  you can modify this by selecting the database in the solution explorer, right click, select properties, set the copy to output directory setting to copy if newer.  this will only copy over the testing database in the bin\debug folder if you make changes to the database in vb.  i guess the idea behind this was to make it easy to deploy a clean database when you are ready to publish. 

Jeff
    FREE DEVELOPER TOOLS, CODE & PROJECTS at www.srsoft.us Database Code Generator and Tutorial
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:44 PM

All replies

• deep,

this is a common problem.  the project works with 2 databases.  one in the main folder and another in the bin\debug folder which is for testing.  the second one is a copy of the first which is created when you build or run.  when you make design changes in vb, it is changing the one in the main folder.  then it will copy over the testing one so you are testing the app with the new changes.  you can modify this by selecting the database in the solution explorer, right click, select properties, set the copy to output directory setting to copy if newer.  this will only copy over the testing database in the bin\debug folder if you make changes to the database in vb.  i guess the idea behind this was to make it easy to deploy a clean database when you are ready to publish. 

Jeff
    FREE DEVELOPER TOOLS, CODE & PROJECTS at www.srsoft.us Database Code Generator and Tutorial
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:44 PM
  • thank you very much, really thanks, because am getting mad for 3 months...trying to finish a system, now am fine....

so cann you tell me something:

I want to querie but using sql querie, like in access:

dim sqlstring as string="Select ......."

how do I open the querie or teste it using dataset or when I Drag and Drop the table on my form?

why, its I have been using something like this:

me.bindingsource.find=...... etc

but I want to use sql, how do I do that when I had drag and drop the table on my form?

Do I need to open the table again?

please help

bindingsource is driving me crazy.....

DeepF1
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Please read the following links for your referecen. It should satisfy your requirement.

1. ADO.NET tutorial .

2. The ABCs of Databases for the beginner .
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 5:28 AM