Streaming and Connection detection RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I explain the scenario I want build:

I have a audio and video (in various formats and bit rates) streaming  server.
    I want to build a web application where mobile devices will connect to see the audio (or videos) from the streaming server.

Is possible, in my web application (not mobile app), get information about the Connection Type (GRPS, EDGE, 3G, ...) in the mobile device and then present the best streaming format (and bit rate) ?

I can detect the device model and OS, and then get the specifications about the device.

Regards,
    DD
    • Changed type ZHE ZHAO Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:39 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think, for the server, there is no way to get device’s connection type reliably.

Can you have an application running on client side, the application can collect connection type information and send it to your server? Or just let the users select the connection type they are using.

Hope it helps,

Zhe Zhao

Friday, October 23, 2009 7:52 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to “General Discussion” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by clicking "Change Type" at the top of the thread. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:39 AM