"Access is denied. " when connecting to MDS web interface RRS feed

• Question

• The application pool is running under my account.

Authentication for web site: Windows Authentication is enabled, everything else is disabled.

Authentication for the server: Windows Authentication is enabled, everything else is disabled.

I am an admin on both the server and the SQL instance.

SQL Server version = Microsoft SQL Server 2012 - 11.0.5343.0 (X64)

I am the only record in [mdm].[tblUser]

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:36 PM

Answers

• Resolved it offline.

The root cause is, in the user active directory environment, there is a machine is using the same name as user. So the MDS is resolve the user to be SID of the machine. In the tblUser table, the name is showing as Domain\UserName$. The $ means it is a machine not a user account.

To workaround the issue, user need get the SID of the user and update the tblUser table, SID and UserName column. 

It is a bug in the SQL Server and has been fixed in the SQL 2016.

Friday, August 7, 2015 6:47 PM

All replies

• Update: I uninstalled MDS 2012, upgraded the SQL instance to 2014 SP1, and installed MDS 2014. After creating a new database and web configuration I am still getting "Access is denied. "
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 11:38 PM
  • Resolved it offline.

The root cause is, in the user active directory environment, there is a machine is using the same name as user. So the MDS is resolve the user to be SID of the machine. In the tblUser table, the name is showing as Domain\UserName$. The $ means it is a machine not a user account.

To workaround the issue, user need get the SID of the user and update the tblUser table, SID and UserName column. 

It is a bug in the SQL Server and has been fixed in the SQL 2016.

Friday, August 7, 2015 6:47 PM