none
new app or update existing one ...

Question

• I have a windows phone 8.1 game app (Sudoku Challenge) and it is doing really well.

But, I've decided to update the code for UWP.

So, my question is, do I overlay/update the package of the existing app, or do I have to create a new app in the store (say Sudoku Challenge 10)? 

And, if I update the package, do all my 8.1 users loose support?  Or, can I have more than one package for an app?

Mine you, the last time I've updated the package, it was still dev.windowsphone.com

Lee

C# developer in a C++ world

• Moved by Mattew WuModerator Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:08 AM publishing question for 8.1
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You don't need to create new app in Windows Store you just can add new package to your existing app.

No your users dont lose support. Pleas for more read this official documentation Adding packages for Windows 10 to a previously-published app .

Make the community better together

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Hi Lee,

>do I overlay/update the package of the existing app, or do I have to create a new app in the store (say Sudoku Challenge 10)? 

You can update your submission as usual, but do not need to delete your WP8.1 package. Just associate your UWP project with your WP 8.1 app name in Dashboard to align the identity info in package manifest, then you can package your UWP app and be sure to upload your .appxupload file as your package. Finally, your app will have two packages.

>And, if I update the package, do all my 8.1 users loose support?  Or, can I have more than one package for an app?

As I said above, you will keep two packages for your app. Your 8.1 users can still use your app normally. Because the Device families section in Pricing and availability in Dashboard only applies to your app new acquisition. The customer who had your app on early OS (WP 8.1) will be updated to your new package once they upgrade to Windows 10.

For more details, you might refer to Guidance for app package management.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:17 AM