none
Exchnage 2007 + SP3on Windows 2008 R2 - Cannot Receive Internal e-mail (sent via Outlook or OWA) RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Exchange 2007 + SP3 (All Roles on 1 server) onto a Windows 2008 R2 Server Member Server (after all pre-reqs met)

On Windows 7 client (or Windows XP) I have Outlook 2007 (using cached mode - but also tried with this turned off), and as an AD user with a mailbox created on the Exchange 2007 + SP3 Server I can configure Outlook 2007 to connect to my Exchange 2007 + SP3 Server and can access the Mailbox (and ran Test on Outlook config to find SCP etc. and this is OK). I can access the GAL and can compose and Send an e-mail. Copy of the e-mail goes into the Sent box (via a Web Browser i.e. OWA mail ends up in Drafts folder), buy when I logon and access the mailbox of the user the e-mail was sent to, they have not received the e-mail.

Any Ideas ?

Note - With Exchange 2007 + SP2 this unable to receive e-mails is not a problem either in Outlook or OWA

Monday, February 3, 2014 11:15 AM

Answers

• Exchange 2007 + SP3 send\receive e-mail problems solved by the installation of Rollup Updates for Exchange 2007 + SP3 onto the Excahnge 2007 + SP3 Server i.e. RU8 in my case here did the trick
    • Marked as answer by GJDy Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:45 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:45 AM

All replies

• Anything in your Queue Viewer?

What does your Message Tracking say?

Any file-level antivirus?

Check out my latest blog posts on www.supertekboy.com A tech blog for I.T. Superheroes.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:09 AM
  • I cannot see anything reported in Exchange Tools i.e. Queue Viewer etc. i.e. Empty

E-mail simply disappears into the ether

Client units and Exchange Unit in test environment with no Anti-Virus installed as yet.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:54 AM
  • With no messages in the Message Tracker or Queue Viewer I decided to install an additional Exchange 2007 + SP3 Server (all Roles again) onto another Member Server but this time Windows 2008 + SP2 rather than Windows 2008 R2 + SP1

I moved across 2 mailboxes from the original Exchange database to the new Exchange server

I left all other mailboxes hosted on the original Exchange Server

From the same client units I then logged on as these 2 mover users and could now sens and receive e-mail and on the new Excahnge Server could see Messages using Message Tracker.

I could now also send and receive e-mails to and from the mailboxes on the old server to\from mailboxes on the new server.

I powered down the new Excahnge Server and then also found I could send\receive e-mails to\from mailboxes hosted on the original Exchange Server which I could not do previously

Thus I do not understand how the problem appears fixed (for the time being at least) simply by having installed another Exchange Server (only onto a Windows 2008 + SP2 unit rather than a Windows 2008 R2 + SP1 unit)

I will test again tomorrow.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Further testing this morning.

Moved 2 user mailboxes from second additional server (Exchange 2007 + SP3 on Windows 2008 + SP2 Server) back to the original Exchange 2007 + SP3 on Windows 2008 R2 + SP1 Server.

Un-installed the additional second Exchange 2007 + SP3 Server (after dismounting and removing the now empty mailbox database)

With now just the original Exchange 2007 + SP3 on Windows 2008 R2 + SP1 Server in place I logged on as a user on a Windows Client system (Windows 7 or XP) and again via Outlook 2007  mail copy in SENT Items section of Mailbox but never actually received by the user the mail is sent to. For OWA mail simply gets stuck in the Drafts folder.

Thus original problem appears.

Are there issues with Exchange 2007 + SP3 on Windows 2008 R2 ?

Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Went back and installed Exchange 207 + SP3 fresh onto  Windows 2008 R2 + SP1 (Mail, CAS and Hub roles only, no UM)

Again Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2002 client (on Windows XP or Windows 7 Client units with no AV) and OWA cannot receive e-mails. Any E-mails sent end up in the Sent Items when using Outlook in cached mode, The Outbox when using Outlook with cached mode turned off, and in the Drafts folder for OWA.

No messages appear in the Message Tracking facility used from the the EMC Toolbox

The Event log on the Exchange Server does say Event ID 4001 - cannot open System Attendant mailbox

All Exchange Services running including the Exchange Transport service.

Any ideas ?

Does Excahnge 2007 + SP3 on Windows 2008 R2 create these issues ?

Friday, February 7, 2014 8:01 AM
  • TEST RESULTS

Can send and receive e-mail from Outlook client and OWA when Exchange 2007 + SP2 Server is on a Windows 2008 + SP2 Member Server

Cannot send and receive e-mail from Outlook client and OWA (stuck in Outbox or Sent Items (bit not received) when using No Cache and Cached Exchange Option, or stuck in Drafts with OWA) when Excahnge 2007 + SP3 Server is on a Windows 2008 + SP2 Member Server

Cannot send and receive e-mail from Outlook client and OWA (stuck in Outbox or Sent Items (bit not received) when using No Cache and Cached Exchange Option, or stuck in Drafts with OWA) when Excahnge 2007 + SP3 Server is on a Windows 2008R2 + SP1 Member Server

Thus seems to be some issue with SP3 for Exchange.

Any ideas as to such as a particular update need to be added onto either a Windows 2008 or Windows 2008R2 Server or Windows XP or Windows 7 Client system for Exchange 2007 + SP3 to not have these e-mail client issues ?

Recall Exchange 2007 + SP2 will not install onto a Windows 2008 R2 Server (needs Exchange 2007 + SP3)

Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Returned to Exchange 2007 + SP3 on the Windows 2008 + SP2 Server (and\or Exchange 2007 + SP3 on Windows 2008R2 + SP1)

Some E-mails have eventually started to appear in the Message Queue and in the recipients Inbox simply by waiting a day (Reboot of the Excahnge Server did not cause this as this was tried before the e-mails appeared).

Thus eventually e-mails may be getting delivered internally from User to User

Any ideas as to  what may be causing such a delay in delivery ?

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:20 PM
  • Through thorough testing it is definitely the Exchange SP3 that causes e-mail send\receive problems.

Exchange 2007 + SP2 causes no issues with Outlook or OWA  Send\Receive. Add on Exchange SP3 to this and mail gets stuck in the Outbox or Drafts for a long time similarly if SP3 was already slipstreamed into Exchange 2007 you get these Send\Receive issues, irrespective of Windows 2008 or Windows 2008R2 being the host server.

Do not know why SP3 causes this though.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:48 AM
  • Exchange 2007 + SP3 send\receive e-mail problems solved by the installation of Rollup Updates for Exchange 2007 + SP3 onto the Excahnge 2007 + SP3 Server i.e. RU8 in my case here did the trick
    • Marked as answer by GJDy Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:45 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:45 AM