none
Best development technologies to use to connect to exchange server, discover DAGs, creating mailbox data bases etc... (preferably .net (c#) - please note that i am trying to manage remote exchange servers) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to Development with Exchange server. I am trying to do things like conencting to exchange server, discovering and creating Database Availablity Groups (DAG), discovering and creating mail box databses within a DAG etc... programmatically.

I see there are few PowerShell cmdlets to do the above things. I am wondering what is the best development technology to use for above things? Can i use EWS Manamgement API?

the technology should be compatible with Exchange Server 2010 and 2013 ((preferably .net (c#)))

Please note that i am trying to manage remote exchange servers

regards,

Dreamer

• Edited by DreamerNN Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:06 PM

Answers

• Remote Exchange Cmdlet - this works for every exchange cmdlet, some caveats:

• the returned PSObjects are deserialized versions of their server side counterparts - basically you only get strings representing the properties, e.g. size properties are returned as "xx MB (xxx.xxx bytes)" with no access to ToMB() method
    • you only see the cmdlets you have got the roles for - e.g. by default you do not see the *-mailboxexport/importrequest cmdlets until you are in the "Mailbox Import Export" role (even as administrator)

• Marked as answer by DreamerNN Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:43 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am new to Development with Exchange server. I am trying to do things like conencting to exchange server, discovering and creating Database Availablity Groups (DAG), discovering and creating mail box databses within a DAG etc... programmatically.

I see there are few PowerShell cmdlets to do the above things. I am wondering what is the best development technology to use for above things? Can i use EWS Manamgement API?

the technology should be compatible with Exchange Server 2010 and 2013 ((preferably .net (c#)))

regards,

Dreamer

Hi,

You have only option of "wrapping Remote PowerShell cmdlets in C#" for managing Exchange server 2010 and 2013. As told by "_NAM or_", all returned properties of PSObjec (a class which represents all Exchange objects) are in string formats, so you would have to parse them according to your needs; I have done so.

Also, EWS is a client side API for tasks which normally we do using Exchange clients like OWA and Outlook.

Thanks and Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com

• Edited by Laeeq Qazi Friday, January 18, 2013 1:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by DreamerNN Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:30 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:16 PM

All replies

• Remote Exchange Cmdlet - this works for every exchange cmdlet, some caveats:

• the returned PSObjects are deserialized versions of their server side counterparts - basically you only get strings representing the properties, e.g. size properties are returned as "xx MB (xxx.xxx bytes)" with no access to ToMB() method
    • you only see the cmdlets you have got the roles for - e.g. by default you do not see the *-mailboxexport/importrequest cmdlets until you are in the "Mailbox Import Export" role (even as administrator)

• Marked as answer by DreamerNN Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:43 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

regards,

Dreamer

Hi,

You have only option of "wrapping Remote PowerShell cmdlets in C#" for managing Exchange server 2010 and 2013. As told by "_NAM or_", all returned properties of PSObjec (a class which represents all Exchange objects) are in string formats, so you would have to parse them according to your needs; I have done so.

Also, EWS is a client side API for tasks which normally we do using Exchange clients like OWA and Outlook.

Thanks and Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com

• Edited by Laeeq Qazi Friday, January 18, 2013 1:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by DreamerNN Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:30 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:16 PM
  • thanks for the confirmation.

Regards,

Dreamer

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:51 PM
  • thanks Laeeq.

Regards,

Dreamer

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:52 PM