String cannot have zero length RRS feed

• Question

• User1677143836 posted

When I download the .vsi installer file and double click to install it I get the error 'String cannot have zero length'

Anyone who has a clue about what the problem might be ?

Happens to all .vsi files that I've donwloaded. Also happens if I just click Open instead of first downloading it.

Sunday, August 6, 2006 4:15 PM

Answers

• User-2084336352 posted

Maybe you had installed Visual Studio 2005 and VWD 2005 Express and then you uninstalled one of the two and a couple string values got deleted in the registry.  Try the following to see if it works for you:

1. Click START then RUN then type REGEDIT and Enter.
    2. Go to this location on the registry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSEnvCommunityContent\ContentTypes\VSTemplate]
    3. On the right side of the screen right click --> New --> String Value and add the following two string values

Value Name = "ClassName"    Value Data = "VSContentInstaller.VSTemplateInstallerPage"
     Value Name=  "DisplayName"  Value Data = "#VSTemplateContentDisplayName"

Close the registry and try again!... hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:09 AM

All replies

• User-2084336352 posted

Maybe you had installed Visual Studio 2005 and VWD 2005 Express and then you uninstalled one of the two and a couple string values got deleted in the registry.  Try the following to see if it works for you:

2. Go to this location on the registry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSEnvCommunityContent\ContentTypes\VSTemplate]
    3. On the right side of the screen right click --> New --> String Value and add the following two string values

Value Name = "ClassName"    Value Data = "VSContentInstaller.VSTemplateInstallerPage"

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:09 AM
  • User202841811 posted

well it worked for me - thanks!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:30 AM
  • User-260263781 posted

Had the same problem with vs 2008 installed and it worked well for me too.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:21 AM
  • User1578542631 posted

It worked for me too, thanks

Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:19 AM
  • User133257670 posted

i have faced the Same problem here with Visual Studio 2012 and i can not the Path in Registry file after Microsoft

(there is No this Directory MSEnvCommunityContent\ContentTypes\VSTemplate).

What To Do

Monday, October 9, 2017 5:45 PM